Will this be healthy?

sully

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Sully&Zeppelin
Okay so Nutrafin came out with a line of pellets called bug bites. they are made from black soldier fly larvae and salmon.

exact ingredients:
Black Soldier Fly Larvae, Salmon, Fish Protein Concentrate, Green Peas, Potato, Wheat, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Lecithin, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Vitamin E Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Calcium L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate, Marigold Extract, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract, Riboflavin, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Inositol, Folic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D3 Supplement
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 40.0%
Crude Fat (min) 12.5%
Crude Fiber (max) 5.0%
Moisture (max) 10.0%
Ash (max) 9.0%
Calcium (min) 1.50%
Phosphorus (min) 0.80%
Vitamin A (min) 2,500 IU/kg
Vitamin D3 (min) 2,400 IU/kg
Vitamin E (min) 75 IU/kg

they are budget friendly and i figured they might be okay because of the salmon. theres a few ingredients im not sure about or if the protein is high enough. also i wanted to know for sure if the fly larvae would be good.

Hi there.
Here is a link to some information regarding pellets:-
Axolotls - Feeding
I'm under the impression that min 40% protein is acceptable, and they have a low fat content, which is great.
The article attached also discusses the use of salmon and trout pellets, so I would guess that the bug bites fish pellets would be ok for axolotls, but I would suggest getting advice from a more experienced keeper.
Do you plan to feed just pellets, or would it be part of a diet which included earthworms etc.?

now after reading that i am unsure if they will be soft enough. 10% moisture might be too little... would also love if one of the more experienced forum members would chip in...

regarding the diet thing. they get nightcrawlers twice a week and pellets in between and they get blood worms sometimes as a treat cause my little man loves them and recently i've also been giving them blackworms because i have them for their babies.

Nice to see variety in the diet. I was just worried about the pellets if that was the entire diet. I have a couple of types of pellets for my guys too. One type is soft but the other is harder. I think it depends on what the individual axolotl likes. My guys have a preference for earthworms and prawns, with the older axolotls liking the softer pellets and the younger ones eat the harder ones.
See what the other forum members say and then make your decision. :happy:

I've used Axolotl specific pellets which are not soft at all, they will break and crumble into chunks under pressure, I've never had an issue and I would feed a lot in a session. I really doubt an Axolotl has preference over soft and hard pellets since they can't really tell what they are eating half the time, they are opportunists so anything they sense maybe food they will snap at, hence why you find Axolotls eat a lot of gravel and even a large pebble if given the chance.

Sounds like you already feed the ideal diet of Nightcrawlers and pellets so I'd just stick with what your already doing.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear I'm doing something right. I am looking into these ones because I am low on my other pellets that I can no longer buy. Also the ones I can get from a breeder are a bit expensive. Just wanted to make sure these are something I can feed them?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back