Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick Axolotl

Turtle1972

Reaction score
Our male Axolotl has not been eating for 3 weeks now. His gills are curled, but his tail is not. I check the water parameters daily and they are perfect. The temperature of the water stays about 20 degrees Celsius. The substrate is large rocks, with an under rock filter that has an aerator tube. He is approximately 7 years old. He eats earthworms. He is also lethargic. There are no signs of bacterial or fungal infection. I am at a loss. Please help!

kcoscia

Reaction score
Water parameters are perfect? What are they exactly?
How large are large stones? I have concern for bowel obstruction.
Pictures would be helpful.

Turtle1972

Reaction score
Nitrates 0, Nitrites 0, pH 7, Kh 30, Gh 40
The rocks are too big to be ingested.

Attachments

• Rufus.JPG
    Rufus.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 192

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Will wait on your ammonia, but if your nitrates are 0 your cycle may have crashed/not been cycled.

NidiaNz

Reaction score
The test strips aren't good, your best to tub your lotl and get a freshwater master test kit as it's likely the water is bad.

tundrabadger

Reaction score
That's a very strange result. I mean, i don't want there to be ammonia, but if there are no nitrates or nitrites you would expect to see some. Do you have any other means of testing the water? I can highly recommend the API freshwater master test kit...I find the results much more accurate and easy to read than strips.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!