Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi! Axolotl Temp Prediciment

Radiator3

Reaction score
Hey I’m new to this site and I don’t know rly how to use it but ima try my best lol anyway I just got this new baby axolotl but it was born in and kept in a higher temp at around 73°F until I got him about less than a week ago. The breeder I got him from said their 2 adults are perfectly healthy at 73°. The water he’s in now stands at about 70-73 and I was thinking about getting a chiller because I know they should be kept in cooler, but I don’t know if I should because he’s only ever lived in this warmer temperature? I haven’t had him long but it seems like he is more lively when the water in the tank is on the warmer side as well? I’ve been using cold water bottles to temporarily cool it down a few degrees but the few times I’ve done this he doesn’t swim around us much. Idk what to do I just wanna keep my little guy happy and healthy. :confused: (His names Radiator3 btw :happy: )

Hayleyy

Reaction score
A chiller is a great idea. Even though that breeder has so far had success at those temps it's not good in the long run and can start a whole lot of health issues. You'll want to drop the temperature gradually so you don't shock the axolotl (i.e. don't go from 70 degrees to 65, have the axolotl in and the chiller will drop it degrees at a time). Frozen bottles or a fan are great ideas to drop it until you get a chiller hooked up.
Axolotls metabolism and activity do increase at warmer temperatures. Once you start dropping the temps it'll probably reduce activity and not eat as much as it did. This is all normal :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!