Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick Axolotl

Missy180rose

Reaction score
Hello, I have a young axolotl and her name is Oola. I've had her for about a month now and she has been doing great. This week we have been moving and I transferred her from the 40 gal I got her in to a 10 gal for now while she is little. She's been in the 10 gal for about 4 days and she was fine but yesterday I noticed she wasn't moving and then today she had her mouth open and wouldn't move or eat. I don't have a water testing kit atm but I'm pretty sure that is the problem, anyways when I got home from work there was white stuff on the side of her face, her gills were super red and I could see all the little red veins in her body. Although her gills are not curled forwards, her tail is curled which is also another indication she isn't doing well. Anyways, I think she had a bacteria infection so I gave her a salt bath with non iodized salt for 15 minutes then put her in the fridge and covered her with a towel.. was this the right thing to do? Are there any tips or suggestions? And how can I get my tank back to proper function? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20190530_222605.jpg
    20190530_222605.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_20190530_132933_842.jpg
    IMG_20190530_132933_842.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 124

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
it sounds like your ammonia is too high and it then turned into a fungal infection, that redness is irritation and the fluffy white stuff that sticks to them is the fungus. the salt bath probably didnt feel too good but it should help with the fungus, id wait a couple days before doing another one if the fuzz doesnt fall off

you need to get a test kit as soon as you can, in the meantime change the water 100% daily in that 10gallon (but if you keep them in an isolation tub it might be easier, also you can change the water twice a day if its a smaller tub)

Missy180rose

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback, I did a salt bath last night and this morning, she didn't act like he liked it and squirmed around. She also has a red spot on her head after the salt bath and the fungus hasn't come off. I have her in a small container. Should l wait again until tomorrow to give her another salt bath?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Salt baths are usually 2-3 times a day, but you do want to be careful because it can be a very aggressive treatment. Tea baths work well for fungus and are more gentle on them. You don't want to use it at the same time as salt baths, though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!