The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 27th November 2007   #1
Walrus

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Walrus has started on the right path
Default Bleeding

A week or so ago I rescued a very sweet pair of Axolotl from a friend of a friend who wasn't feeding them properly. They've coped with moving tanks (twice) like troopers and seem to be settling in nicely. Until tonight when one of them got his head caught in a small decorative cave I'd put in for them to hide behind/in.

We moved it around until he managed to wiggle out, but when he stopped thrashing around the tank he was bleeding from what looked like just under his right gill.

He seems all right now, have covered their tank and last I saw he was sitting in a corner, seemed to be breathing without difficulty and there weren't any more signs of blood and I didn't want to risk reopening anything by moving him.

So, (and I hate to ask demanding questions without even saying Hi, so will be over in the Introduction forum in a sec :) ) is there anything I should be wary of, need to keep an eye out for or do?

Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007   #2
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Watch for signs of infections, such as increased redness; or signs of fungus, which will appear like fuzzy growth. Otherwise, these guys are pretty good healers.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007   #3
click
(ianclick)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Comments: 1
Rep: ianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hi Walrus,

I agree with Kaysie, keep an eye on it. If your water parameters are good and your tank temperature is ok then it should heal well. Axies are known for their regenerative abilities.

Good Luck

ianclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007   #4
Walrus

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Walrus has started on the right path

I'm not really sure what signs of infection are - one of his gills has turned red and has stopped rippling with the rest, should I be worrying?

Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bleeding