Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Status

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hm, I just noticed that it is sometimes possible to see exactly what a user is doing - which post he is reading or whatever. Not sure I like that; if nothing else, it's kind of creepy to me, the opportuity to read over someone's shoulder. Is there a way to turn this off? So far I've only discovered "invisible mode", which I would find overkill (to hide completely).

Thanks,

-Eva

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You do not want someone to read over your shoulder or don't you want to read over someone else's shoulder? :confused: The solution for the second one is simple - just do not look at the status.

I have never had a problem with that and the only persons able to turn this feature off would be John and possibly Jennewt I think.

blueberlin

Reaction score
No, I don't look at someone else's status - just the once yesterday as I discovered it in my own profile and wanted to see how it looks with others. With some people this information is not listed, and with some it is. I just find it creepy that someone can check at any time to see what I am reading. Makes me feel weird.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
You're the first person to ever complain about it. The thing that I have a question about is in what cases is it listed and not listed? For people who it doesn't show doing anything it should just say "Last Activity Some Time or Date".

Saspotato

Reaction score
From what I know of vBulletin software, it only shows what you are looking at at the time, and when you exit the forum, it shows it for about 5-10mins longer (I guess that is how long it lets you stay idle for before listing you have exited the forum). Then it switches to 'last visited', without a description of what you were looking at. I know on another forum where I moderate, it can be a pain as people think I am online and get bombared with PMs complaining I did not answer their PMs even though I was 'online'. But that is the only downside I have found.

I can't ever remember actually looking at someone's profile to see what they are reading though, and I suspect most people are the same as me ;) so I wouldn't worry.

blueberlin

Reaction score
You're the first person to ever complain about it. The thing that I have a question about is in what cases is it listed and not listed? For people who it doesn't show doing anything it should just say "Last Activity Some Time or Date".

Goodness, I'm not complaining! Just asking.

You, for example, do not have the "current activity" information in your profile.

Sarah does.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
You, for example, do not have the "current activity" information in your profile.
That's because I'm set as invisible. No one except Jen Macke can tell I'm online. I do that to stop real life people putting their finger on me :p.

Abrahm

Reaction score
That's because I'm set as invisible. No one except Jen Macke can tell I'm online. I do that to stop real life people putting their finger on me :p.

I can see you too. Moderators can see invisible users also as I've seen you and some others. Unless you got a new invisibility cloak within the last few hours?

blueberlin

Reaction score
Understood. Should it bother me enough, I will go "invisible" too, but gosh that just seems slly. Anyway there's nothing here I wouldn't mind being seen seeing.

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!