Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Moomin will not eat, and I can't find a logical reason to why. Please help me try to find a reason.

kuphie

Reaction score
Oh no, moomins still not better. Maybe it is some kind of internal parasite? Did you get your fecal? What about trying metronidazole and praziquantel just in case? I hope the vet has some ideas of how to help you. Hang in there.

Erzs

Reaction score
Like Kuphie said maybe it is internal and the gunk you originally found in her mouth had come from her tummy? I guess now it's back to the vets? Or just calling them and saying whats happened and see what they say to do.

I'm actually heading there myself this morning (if I don't get lost!) I think its open surgery until 11 this morning and then by appt with the exotic vet 3-6(I think, awful memory, I'm probably not even meant to be there myself today!). But I know you live far so today wouldn't likely be a possibility.

Moomin's a little fighter though and I'm rooting for her! :happy:

Crysta

Reaction score
she has her head in the jar trying to eat, so it seems to not be bothering her. I have been waiting on a stool sample for quite a while now, one just hasn't popped up :/

I will be having a little 'dig' around in moomin's mouth later today to see if there's anything blocking her throat at that time I may force feed her. honestly she's skinnier than some axolotls i've seen in pet shops x) it was the earthworms she wasn't eating in the first place, i've been sticking to the smaller foods with her, brine shrimp and daphnia.

Crysta

Reaction score
still the same, all i can do for now is keep the water clean, and have fresh food in there everyday for her, i'll let you guys know how things go. She's a little fighter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1