Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Curled Gills

constellatia

Reaction score
Hello, I have a young axolotl. His gills seem a little forward to me, but I'm not sure if it's just the way they are or if it's stress. He's on a bare bottom, though there is a very fine thin layer of sand fragments over it, I'm not sure if he's big enough to be on sand yet. There's no flow whatsoever in the tank. He eats tons of food. Please give your opinions :)

Attachments

• photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    266.5 KB · Views: 652
  • photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 493

loveaxolots

Reaction score
hello, fine sand is fine for a axolotl and what i seen from the picture he looks fine. one thing most axolotls do when their stressed is curl their tails but if you axolotl does not curl his/her tail, is acting fine,and eating well, then everthing is good.

constellatia

Reaction score
Thank you, they seem more curled forward today, when he swishes them back they dont go straight back like the once did. But his tail isn't curled and he eats well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1