Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salt bath Picture Tutorial

E

Elise

Perhaps I missed it as well, but can I get someone to tell me what a good salinity is for this salt bath? I read 2-3 tsp per litre, then I read stronger if it's bad, or I read maybe it's not strong enough, can I get a number that I can start out at? I have noticed that my 10" adult male had fungus on his gills and want to get on this... but I just am having trouble with these "guesstimate" numbers

There are some more detailed measurements in this post and also in this article.
When it comes to treating mycosis using a salt bath, you want use the lowest effective salt concentration.
There also exists other methods proven effective in treating fungus which are outlined in this thread.

Angi

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply =) I was looking for a salinity # like 1.026 or something along those lines, I don't have a gram scale... so I am just attempting the 2 tsp per litre, guess we'll see in a couple days. Thanks again!

adler0

Reaction score
Hi, about how long should you do this for? I've been doing exactly what this guide says now for over a week and I still don't see any change in the white infected area on his gills. I went away for vacation for 5 days and left a fan blowing on the tank to cool it which I usually use ice. I guess he got stressed from the heat and got some while cotton looking stuff on one of his gills. I've followed this guide and hes been in the fridge for just over a week now. He hasn't eaten in about two weeks too. Feel free to PM me information too.

E

Elise

Start a new thread in the sick forums and include some pictures. This thread isn't for individual cases.

Sweetie

Reaction score
For mild cases, it isn't necessary to fridge the lotl. It does help recovery if the fungus is at the site of an injury. Go up a couple of posts and try the thread given that outlines alternative treatments for fungus. It talks about the fridging issue too. Good luck.

alexxxandrittta

Reaction score
How long does the axolotl can take salt baths?
I have mine on the fridge for a bubble gas over a week now, and he has fungus on his sides.
How long do i have to give him salt baths? Thanks

ophelia123

Reaction score
Thanks so much for this tutorial--a HUGE help.

A few questions: since salt baths are aggressive treatments, how many would you recommend doing? I've been doing two baths a day for five days. There is still a small amount of feathery fungus floating around in the water. Is there a limit to how many days of salt baths an axie should endure?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!