Illness/Sickness: At what point do I force feed my axolotl?

Lashy337

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was given an axolotl about two weeks ago, and have added him to the tank with the two I already had. Since the move across several states, he hasn't eaten. I thought it would be because he's stressed, but he shows no signs of stress, no curled tail or gills, nothing like that. I tried putting him in an isolation tub with some worms to see if that would help, but that almost made things worse and he seemed more unhappy there, so I put him back in the big tank. The previous owner fed him whole live nightcrawlers, and I've tried them alive, dead, cut, whole, everything-- he's refusing all food.

I looked at the thread with instructions on how to force feed your axolotl, but it said only to do this with adult axolotls-- Toothless is about 8 inches, and is on the smaller side (especially as he's not eating), so I'm hesitant to do so. At what point do I cave and force feed the poor guy?

Hello Lashy, for me, I can't imagine they'd be any point (time) when I'd force feed an axolotl. Two weeks + without feeding is no time at all. I'm sure some highly experienced keepers might, if they ever get into the situation in the first place, but consider how will you hold the animal securely, how will you get its mouth open (it won't want to do this) without damaging the delicate tissue around the jaw and potentially allowing fungal or bacterial infection, how will you ensure you don't perforate the thin buccal lining? Sit tight. Be patient.
Moving any animal is stressful for them and I've always seen it as a sign of being settled when they feed. I offer live food as movement triggers interest and predatory responses. If feeding dead food, be sure to remove all uneaten food to help maintain water quality. Sometimes having a second, similar sized, axolotl in with them helps the settling process. Indeed, an inexperienced animal will pick up ques from an animal which is acting'normally'.

Hi Lashy and welcome to the forum.:happy:

I agree with Blackbun, just give it some time.
If you are concerned about your axolotl's weight, just post some pictures and we can check to see that it is still healthy.
Best of luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back