Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Identifying and treating skin issues

Undaria

Reaction score
So I picked up a couple of axolotls who were being rehomed two days ago. The albino one's skin is all blotchy (picture attached). The person who was rehoming them was doing so because he was apparently allergic, so I'm wondering if this might be a chemical burn, a fungus, or something else. I've also been advised that this may be normal, but I thought I better make sure.

They were rehomed with their full set up. the tank is smaller than I would like at 70L with two axolotls. The filter is a canister filter with a spray bar. I didn't test the water they were in before I got them, but current parameters have the ammonia really low. Their substrate is sand. Originally, they had a bunch of fake plants, which I've replaced with live plants.

They came with frozen axolotl food, which the albino one refused to eat, but it happily ate earth worms when offered.

I did buy the stuff necessary to give them a salt bath, but don't want to do that if it is unnecessary, and especially if it is chemical burns rather than fungal, as that would be really uncomfortable.

Any advise on this (and other aspects of their care) would be much appreciated.

Photos are attached.

Attachments

• Albino Axi.jpg
    Albino Axi.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 120
  • pick up.jpg
    pick up.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 92

NidiaNz

Reaction score
If it's the shiny white spots, they are iridophores and are normal.

Undaria

Reaction score
Some of them are a bit shiny, but others are more matt. They are also on the red parts of the gills.

NidiaNz

Reaction score
They are iridophores and are normal, no need to worry what so ever ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1