Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I'm starting to get frustrated

T

tiff

he is eating well but he is little tummy is swollen, and now he has a red mark down his left side. does anyone know what that red mark could be?
also i cant tell if he has a fungus or if it is just his color i think he is a golden albino and it is hard for me to tell if the "shiny" white spots are coloration or something else.
when i brought him home he had a broken leg, that actually looks like its doing much better, but something had chewed his gills and they arent growing back. can anyone tell me if they will grow back.
also, i do not wish to purcase another axie from the same place i got this guy because he was in such poor health when he came home, so does anyone know how to find a reputable breeder, as i'd like to keep 2, and quite frankly i question whether or not he's going to make it.
ps he is in the fridge, do you think i should do salt baths

kapo

Reaction score
His gills are likely to take a wee while to grow back, When we first received our axies, the two that had been shipped in the same bag had had a good ole chew of each others gills/legs. It took about 3 weeks - poss a little longer but seemed like ages as I prob spent too much time checking the progress or what appeared to be lack of each day! As for your other questions, sorry can't really answer but are you able to post a photo to show the red mark and "shiny" white spots? Also, how long has he been in fridge?

T

tiff

yes i will post pics this afternoon, (i have 2 take my mom 2 the doc's or i'd do it now), and he went in the fridge at 8:00 a.m. this morning, so it's been an hour and a half. thanx 4 responding, i need all the help i can get, i really want to keep this little guy alive, funny how you become so attatched in such a short time.

T

tiff

ok i'm going to try to post pics on a new thread in the same forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1