Tiger salamander care

Sirbin2000

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good tiger salamander care sheet? I have found some but they're all different and I don't want to follow some stupid Wikipedia care sheet. I've had tiger salamanders before so I think I'm OK but I just want to be sure! I've just acquired 2 large males and they're amazing. My main question is if they actually need a water dish, some sites say yes others no, they currently have a small one which they love to go in, I change it daily. I keep the temp about 70 and humidity 70 to 80 percent. Plenty of hiding places etc. They are eating great, worms and isopods for now. I have them in a 40 gallon long tank. Any help would be great thanks!

I don't think you *need* a water dish, but if your animals are utilizing it and you are good about maintaining clean water, then continue to use one.

My tiger has not had a water dish in many years - she did use it but I was pretty bad about making sure the water was kept clean, and when I would remember to get clean water, many times I completely forgot to return the dish to her anyway! So I just forgo it now, and she (my salamander) still seems to be going strong. I got her in 2003ish and I bet she has not had a water dish in 10 years.

HJ

Cool thanks for the reply. They go in it a lot even though I mist it once a day or when it looks dry. I do make sure to clean it everyday but if I ever get lazy I'll just take it out lol. These guys are all over the place, I thought they'd hide a lot more but every time I'm in the room they're by the glass begging for food, they make me laugh!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back