Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

crazy behavior

crazyspotty

Reaction score
I woke up this morning to find my new gold axolotl with his head out of the water chilling on top of the filter?!

i only got him 2 days ago, and have been checking water every day/doing partial water changes to get the tank biofilter going, but i had already filled it up with cycled water from my main tank which is substantial, and has good water.

so i did the usual 10% change and hes still doing it! he just climbs ontop of the filter and sticks his head out for a bit then jumps back onto the plants

lol this guy is crazy

Markw

Reaction score
Does he gasp for air or stil breathe normally?

Mark

crazyspotty

Reaction score
no he doesnt gasp for air at all, he just sits there with this nose in the water but like half his head/gills out of the water, haha hes doing it again now!!! :eek:

Markw

Reaction score
Pics! They would be nice to see. Is this the intake or output were talking about?

Mark

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi

Thats not your standard axolotl behaviour exactly but if its not out of the water for long and not gasping for air then it may not indicate a problem, however behaviour like this normally indicates a water quality issue, Do you know what your parameters are?

crazyspotty

Reaction score
now hes swimming out to the bubbles from the filter, this water is only just cycling iv had him in here for about 2 days. He does seem to be taking too many gulps of air, should i just transfer some water from my main tank to help the cycling?

Markw

Reaction score
If its just cycling, youre more than likely having either an ammonia or nitrite spike. I dont have much experience with these things, but I know the other water will kelp along with cycling, but you wont avoid spikes. Theyll probably get worse. I would reccommend a vacation in the fridge with daily water changes until the cycle is over, or a different tub, but the water would have to be mostly changed every day. Im sure someone else will chime in with better advice. Hold tight.

Mark

crazyspotty

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've managed to calm the little dude down a bit. I've since moved him to the bigger 160L tank I got heaps of plants and good hiding places now. He seems pretty happy and is eating heaps so I'm relieved:D

Plants really make a big difference to water quality!
Its pretty impressive, I should have gotten live plants a long time ago =)

Last edited by a moderator:

ianclick

Reaction score
Thats good to hear, Often these problems relate to acclimatisation. I am glad hes settled down.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!