Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Chiller Advice

katbeck99

Reaction score
Hello! I bought two juvenile axolotls last Saturday and I'm absolutely in love. However, living in Atlanta, the weather can get pretty hot over the summer. The weather is warming up, and I have fan set up blowing across the top of my 20 gallon long to help speed up evaporation. However, this doesn't do much temperature wise. Currently my tank has been anywhere from the high 60s to the low 70s (degrees fahrenheit), and I know I want to invest in a chiller.
Chillers aren't cheap... so that's why I'm coming to this forum for advice! I want to make sure I buy a chiller that does the job well. Does anyone have recommendations for chillers? Brand? Size? And set up?
Thank you so much!

katbeck99

Reaction score
UPDATE: A friend said he'd be willing to give me his Current 1/4 HP chiller. Would this be overkill for a 20 gallon long? Could I hurt my axolotls by using this?

Sweet Pea

Reaction score
So, I am new and personally trying to get my own answers. However​ I see you haven't gotten a response yet so here is my 2¢ I live in GA too and just bought a chiller to set my tank up. It is waaaay too hot here!

Personally from my experience with research, I think you should be fine as long as your chiller has a thermometer and keeps track of the tank temp and turns off when needed. As far as I know the recommend getting a size up from what you really need so you don't strain your chiller. If it saves you $ I'd say do it! I had to pay $400 for mine and that was outrageous!

Love to hear how it works out!

katbeck99

Reaction score
I actually ended up buying a 1/13 HP chiller for my 20 long! It cost $400 as well YIKES! At least my tank will stay cool!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!