Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red tipped gill? New axolotl owner!

LilAxo

Reaction score
I just got a young axolotl, eve, 3 days ago, she's about 3.5 inches long. She ate the first day but hasn't been eating since. I have her tubbed in a Rubbermaid tub while I'm waiting for the tank to cycle. I've been changing her water every day after trying to feed her. She turns away when I hold food in front of her with tweezers, I've been trying with frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp. Today when I came home from work there were 3 blood worms on the floor (regurgitated I think?). I noticed the tip of her bottom left gill lost its fluff and turned red..can anyone help me? Is she sick? :( i attached some pictures of the gills too. I think she's also stressed from what I've read cause her gills are curled forward..
Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20171211_220736.jpg
    20171211_220736.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 20171211_220704.jpg
    20171211_220704.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 239

LilAxo

Reaction score
It's also winter here so the temperature has between 52-55..is that too low or why she doesn't want to eat?

Anniebeth

Reaction score
Hi There!

I have had axolotls for about one year, and have experienced the red tipped gill phenomenon. My axys recovered from this without difficulty and it was mainly early on. They also didn't want to eat much at first. So I would say both these things are symptoms of their move and associated stress. As long as you are doing all the right things, water changes, using your tapsafe, your little axy should recover and start to enjoy life in its new tank.

All the best!

Anniebeth

Reaction score
It's also winter here so the temperature has between 52-55..is that too low or why she doesn't want to eat?

As long as you are comfortable in your home, your axy should be fine. Only temp problems I have had are in the summer as they shouldn't get too hot!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!