Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: HELP!! I think my axolotl has a tumor!!

what should i do

• Total voters

chise8340

Reaction score
HELP! When i first got Axel, he had a small lump on his side, which i first thought was just merely a birth defect. however, when it started to grow larger, i began to think it was a fungal infection... so I gave him Fungal Cure but it did nothing... It gets a little bigger each day, could it be a tumour? :confused: I don't know what to do, it doesn't seem to be bothering him too much, but he hates it when i touch it... I don't want to lose him, he was my first axolotl and I love him so much... what can i do

p.s I called a vet, they said it will cost me a lot of money (money I don't have) just for them to tell me what it is, and they cant even operate on him, i would have to take him to a fish vet in Brisbane (which is about 2 or more hours from my house) which would probably stress and kill him :(

someone, please help me :(

I can upload a picture of him, but I don't know how clear it will be, considering I have a not very good camera and my tank isn't clear as my filter is broken.I'm getting a new one on Wednesday ^^
sorry about the poor quality, it is basically just a white-ish kind of mucous looking growth, and when i touch it, its kind of squishy but then again, harder than the rest of his body...
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Moomin

Reaction score
Is thw white bit sticking out? Is it fluffy white? Or is it flat. If its flat its probably markings, If its fluffy irts likely to be fungus and sticking out well...axies do tend to be a bit bumpy.

chise8340

Reaction score
no... it is sticking out... a rather large amount it seems to get bigger every day... its a sort of gray-ish white, i guess...not fluffy, and ive tried fungal cure, it does nothing

Moomin

Reaction score
MMmm. Its not easy to do operations on axolotls either (according to my vet) so i'd see if it gets any better. If not and its gettin too OTT vet might be a plan. Warn them before you take ur axie tho :)

chise8340

Reaction score
the problem is... i have no money, i dont live at home, so i pay board money, which i a majority of my pay, and the vet is really far from my home... i spoke to my friends mother who works at the vet as a dog groomer and her step dad who absolutely looooves fish... and they said, i should just let it run its course... although i would like to take him to a vet, i dont have the money, and its too far...i love Axel and want the best for him...and it doesnt seem to worry him too much, so im going to give him the best life i can ^^

pixiegriff

Reaction score
the problem is... i have no money, i dont live at home, so i pay board money, which i a majority of my pay, and the vet is really far from my home... i spoke to my friends mother who works at the vet as a dog groomer and her step dad who absolutely looooves fish... and they said, i should just let it run its course... although i would like to take him to a vet, i dont have the money, and its too far...i love Axel and want the best for him...and it doesnt seem to worry him too much, so im going to give him the best life i can ^^

Well, I think it's clear that unless a miracle happens or you get help from family and friends for the bill, you are stuck with giving him the best life you can and let it run its course.
Is he otherwise happy?
Are his activity levels normal?
Is his water at comfortable/acceptable levels?
Have you done a relaxing salt bath in the fridge?

If you are doing all you can to keep him happy, there is no fault there, and these things do happen. I suppose having our axie friends in captivity, we are sort of biting the bullet as to when, not if eventually some form of illness or another will finally befall our aquatic friends.
Hope these positive words soothe your tortured conscience. Treat him as you normally would until you can't any more.
Good luck and hope you're both doing ok.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!