The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 3rd October 2016   #1
Vakuoli

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Vakuoli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A 12+ year old Cynops orientalis newt has white in his eye. We're worried sick.

Me and my ex have two little chinese firebelly newt darlings, Tiu and Tau, who we love above anything else in the world. Now Tiu has developed what might be a problem with his/her eye. My ex tells me that Tiu's one eye has white in it. It's a new thing, appeared only recently. We don't know what to do or what is going on. Can newts develop cataract? Is he/she going blind? Should we take him/her to a vet? Can they do anything? Might Tiu be in pain? Or is this normal for an aging newt?

My ex tells me that Tiu is acting normally. He/she is active and interested and has a healthy appetite just as always. He just fed Tiu and Tau nightcrawlers tonight and it seemed to him that Tiu could see also with the eye with the white in it. But we're very worried about our poor little darling.

We don't know how old firebellies generally live, we've just wanted to think Tiu and Tau will live forever because we love them so much and the thought of either of them dying just hurts like hell. It's been 12 years now since they were bought from a pet shop to their first family, we adopted them in 2010 and this is the first time there has ever been anything wrong with either of them and we're sadly clueless about how to deal with this.

Thank you so, so much for any help and advice you can offer.

Vakuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2016   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: A 12+ year old Cynops orientalis newt has white in his eye. We're worried sick.

Can you post pics?
If you're that worried, you can take him to a vet.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2016   #3
Vakuoli

Nationality:
Default Re: A 12+ year old Cynops orientalis newt has white in his eye. We're worried sick.

I made an appointment with a vet who specializes in amphibians and other exotic animals. Sadly she's all booked up until friday, but since Tiu is eating well and is active and doesn't seem to be suffering we think he'll be able to hang in there until then. Should his/her condition acutely worsen before friday's appointment, we'll take him to a general vet.

I attached a picture.

I did a search here on the site in case this topic had been discussed earlier. I did not get this search result then, my search terms being too general perhaps, but after reading this thread http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...ffliction.html about a Chinese firebelly newt with white in his eye I'm not so panicked anymore. Chances are this is merely an eye infection which is treatable and Tiu will go on to live for many many years more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VID-20161004-WA0015.mp4_000000544.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	48253  

Old 18th October 2017   #4
Vakuoli

Nationality:

Late update, but a trip to the exotic pets vet and a course of treatment with antibiotic eyedrops fixed Tiu's eye right up and he was quickly back to his old self again.

Old 18th October 2017   #5
Jensino

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Jensino has shown reliable knowledge

I am glad to read that your newt recovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakuoli View Post
Chances are this is merely an eye infection which is treatable and Tiu will go on to live for many many years more.
In "Salamanders: keeping and breeding" there is a picture of a 40 years+ old Cynops pyrrhogaster. So chances are good that Tiu will live on for a looong time.

Jensino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chinese firebelly newt, cynops orientalis, eye, sick, sick newt, white