Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Morphed Axolotl/Tiger Salamander Not Eating (2 weeks)

Acacia

Reaction score
Lasagna is my morphed axolotl. Out of the 4 axolotls that I raised from the same batch of eggs, he was the only that morphed, despite being kept under the same conditions. I treat him as a tiger salamander.

Around four weeks ago, I changed Lasgana's dirt to include coco fiber. It is a roughly 1:3 ratio of coco fiber to dirt, as opposed to only dirt. The dirt is from the same bag. Before, Lasagna had been regularly eating 2-3 times a week. After making the switch, he still ate 3 worms a week.

November 18 was when he last ate. It has been two weeks.
I try to feed him every two days (nightcrawlers and redworms). The thing is, he responds when I wiggle my fingers. He snaps at worms, but he just doesn't grab them. He chases anything that moves. He just doesn't eat.

Here's some extra unconnected information, just in case it helps:
There are no obstruction in his mouth and he still poops. I also saw something that looks like a moult in his tank. Temperature is 65-70F. He spends most of his time burrowed underneath the dirt. He is a confirmed male. The dirt is moist. He resides in a 10g glass tank with a (temporary) aluminum foil top. He hasn't used his water bowl since 2 weeks prior either. The worms are small enough to fit in his mouth, but I have tried with larger ones too. He is 13 months old and morphed at 9 months. He weighs 60g (up 5g from a month ago?) but looks skinny.

Do you have any ideas as to why he won't eat? I don't think he's purposefully starving himself, seeing as he snaps at moving worms and my fingers.

Is there anything I can give him that's irresistable? At this point I'm not too concerned about fat content or Ca:K ratios, I just want him to eat something.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I might try a wax worm? I noticed though that the appetite of my newts goes down some when it's cooler weather.

Acacia

Reaction score
This was a long time ago, but I'd like to post an update just in case someone might find this useful later.
Since last December, Lasagna has been eating around 1 worm every 2 months. I'm not entirely sure what happened; from around December to March/April, his weight stayed constant at 60g. I wonder if he was hibernating? But then it started slowly decreasing, eventually hitting 49g in July. I try to feed him 3x a week, but I didn't want to disturb him too much because he was mostly buried in the dirt, and if he was hibernating/conserving energy I didn't want to snap him out of it.
Finally, he started eating in August. Around twice a week, but I'll take it. I offer him a worm every day, unless he's eaten one the previous day (to give him time to digest). He's back up to 54g. Still kind of skinny, but I'm glad he won't be starving to death.
Fun fact: It's also over a year past his morph daten and he's a month away from his 2 year hatch-day!

image of Lasagna eating a worm:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!