Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My first axolotl

Bibie

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I'm new here, i've been following this forum for a while now.
I bought my first aquarium for axolotl and it is up and running.
I have bought caviar grit wich is 1mm.
So i hope that is ok?
Because i've read that you cant buy normal grit because that is to Sharp.
I do have a question regarding the temperature.
That is at 14 degrees Celsius.
Should i add a heater or just leave it at 14 degrees?
Because i read that it should be between 14 and 22...
Thanks ;)

Kitan

Reaction score
Hi there! Congratulations on your axolotl! So there are a lot of other things to take into account for your tank and 'lotl's care, but if you dont know or have questions, you can just ask :)

I assume caviar grit is sand? If so, what length is your 'lotl? You dont generally want them to have sand until they are at least 5" (so I've been told). As long as they are at least that size, 1mm is a nice size. A big thing with sand is actually the uniformity of the grains to prevent dangerous gasses from building up that can kill your 'lotl. I highly recommend this stuff: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0...mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

14 degrees celcius is just fine. You can have a perfectly happy 'lotl at that temp and do not need a heater. Even if it goes a little colder that's fine. Low is better than high and honestly 22 degrees is too high. You will start experiencing heat stress at that temp as anything over 21 can potentially cause issues.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1