Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paddis,, what colour..?

Odette

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

It's a long time since ive been here.. :wacko: but now when i'm back i have to ask, what kind of colour is my axie Paddis? She was all pink when i got her but as you can see from the pics she has gotten quite dark so i don't really know what to call her. The genetics in english is quite hard for me to understand so i'd like some help :eek:

(she got black eyes if you can't see that in the pics..)

Attachments

• utställnings Paddis.jpg
    utställnings Paddis.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 1,844
  • fin paddis.JPG
    fin paddis.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,000

Odette

Reaction score
aha.. well,, that's what ive been told before so i think you may be right.. but,, can someone explain to me (in simply words pleace) what "melanoid" and "axanthic" means? genetics in english oh my oh my...

intet

Reaction score
She's really beautiful!!:eek:
How old is she?

Is it normal for all leucistics to get so dark spottet?
I can see my AxoLotte getting pale "freckles" in her face.

Saspotato

Reaction score
Wow I love the black spots! Have not seen an axolotl like that before :)

Anyway, here is an article that explains the different colour types:
http://www.axolotl.org/genetics.htm
I think in simple terms, a melanoid axolotl has less yellow pigment than a wild type, so is more black rather than speckled and does not have a shiny ring around its pupils. Melanoid albinos look like white albinos but have some yellow on them.

Axanthic axolotls are similar to melanoid axolotls but I think not as dark. Axanthic albino axolotls start off looking white become more yellow with age.

I hope those descriptions are correct, I found it hard to translate from the link! There are pictures to help you more on that page.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sarah,

Melanoid means that the animal completely lacks the shiny pigments (called iridophores - best not to be seen by the missing ring in the eye, that's right) and has less yellow pigments. Melanoids do not necessarily have to be very dark, they can even be grey. The animal shown on John's page is very dark, thats right, but here is another one of my own:
Melanoid.jpg
So far you are right.

But melanoid albinos also do miss the shiny ring in their eyes because they do not develop the shiny iridophores. The last picture on the genetics page is a melanoid albino and here is another one (look at the eyes and gills - no shiny pigments!):
Albino_melano.jpg

Axanthics completely miss the shiny and yellow pigments, resulting in very dark animals without the ring in their eyes. As far as I know, non-albinotic axanthic Axolotls are often weak and usually do not reach maturity.

Odette: madeve is right - what you have there is a leucistic Axolotl with a big part of dark pigmentation - and a very nice one indeed!

Odette

Reaction score
thanks everyone.. :) yeah i know,, it's not that easy to translate genetics but thanks for at least trying.. i will read more about it later to see if maybe i understand it, i have to sit down sometime when i have more time, and see if i get it then :D

Paddis is about 2,3 as far as i know. She started to get just small dark spots in her face just a couple of months after i got her.. (think she was about 1 year then, she got like freckles on her face). But then she became more and more dark.. can show some more pics of her,, i think it's kind of amazing that they can change like this :)

Attachments

• Beautii.JPG
    Beautii.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 839
  • sötast.JPG
    sötast.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 3,416
  • prickig.JPG
    prickig.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 452
  • skillnaden alla tre.JPG
    skillnaden alla tre.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 518
  • cool paddis har fått växter.JPG
    cool paddis har fått växter.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 816

Odette

Reaction score
and by the way.. i was just thinking, all axolotls i've seen have much longer toes then Paddis.. her toes are "webbed" but i've seen other axolotls that also have webbed toes, but they still seem longer somehow.. i wonder why? Maybe it's just individual..?
8they have always been like that..)

Attachments

• DSCF8421 vig bakfot.jpg
    DSCF8421 vig bakfot.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 478

Genome42

Reaction score
My babies all started off completely white/leutistic but as they have got older (they are now around 15cm) there is a range in the group in the amount of speckles on the nose and up onto the neck.
I think it makes them look really cute and means i can almost tell the 7 of them apart! Yours is very cute and reminds me of a bread roll covered in poppy seeds!

From what I know the leutisitic colouring is due to a defect in the migration of the pigment cells from the neural crest ( which is a set of cells which form in the neck region in the embryo and move out from there to form the pigment cells and nerves of the body) so the pigment cells just get stuck and therefore the animal has no pigment in the body. (as far as i know the nerve migration is completely unaffected as the nerve cells are attracted by a different mechanism) Our axolotls are not completely defective in this process and the pigment cells make it some of the way around the animal before getting stuck. Also, the reason leutisitics still have black eyes is due to the fact that eye pigment is under the control of a different mechanism.
Im not sure if this helps but thats my understanding of the mechanism in axolotls!

seedy

Reaction score
The toes look short but I think it might be because the webbing goes nearlly all the way to the tip.
It might even help her swim better .
She would have to be one of the coolest looking axies I have seen , it almost looks like she has put on battle armour.

Jake

Reaction score
That's a beautiful axolotl!

I especially like the progression photos!

N4t3b

Reaction score
wow thats an awesome looking leucistic axo I've never seen one with black marking like that. Thanks for sharing! Awesome axolotls.

naymo

Reaction score
WOW, that its awesome.
I didnt know they could go from such a "pure" white to having so much pigmentation.
I thought by the time the reached a big size thats the colour they would stay.
Thats so interesting!.

I love axies with unusual colouration Jakes got a bunch of axies with spots and "moles" and wierd colouration I LOVE IT lol.

I want to get a white and black one one day. How beautiful.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
bumping this because 1) the axie is beautiful and 2) i have a theory
i think it’s possible that with the substrate you have she may have been trying to adapt an attempt to blend in, kind of like how melanoids and other darker axolotls lighten up on white sand. just a thought :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1