Surprise morphs!

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Madeira
This morning i was putting my hands in my outdoor semi aquatic tanks and ponds for some photographies:

fts3.jpg

fts5.jpg

fts2.jpg

While checking the 50/50 semi aquatic tank, trought the dense canopy of Selaginella kraussiana i found these 2 little guys! They had awesome colours and had a good size. I was very excited to had found them because i totally forgot i had putted a batch of larvae at that tank and at some time i didnt looked at him so I was quite nice to see such stunning morphs!

sd.jpg

Actually after a more close look i found this little dude just above water surface! a newly metamorphosed newt!
fts12.jpg

Magnified:

asd.jpg

After cheking my low-O2 thank i found also another surprise. A larval Cynops orientalis witch one of the biggest sizes i´ve ever seen. Nearly 5cm (2inches) and again i didn't know i had released their eggs/larvae in there:

fts.jpg

Magnified:

asd2.jpg

What i did really really realeased here phyrrogaster larvae some while ago witch are going fine too. Conclusion, Its nice to get these surprises you would not even think about!

Cheers,

Jorge

Thank you Eva! I love this little fellas! They look like have bigger amount of green than the others raised in setups that are on the sun... I wanna see if its always like this...

AJ the newly metamorph is a T.marmoratus like the others too.

Cheers,

Awesome pictures Jorge! Your marbled newts look great in that pond :happy:

Allistor friend, how are you? So you decided to jump to this platform :D nice...
Actually i took them out from that setup. I released some of my larvae there and while watching my land part wasn't really expecting to see these fellas. They are now together with my other morphs.
Cheers,
Jorge

They look like very interesting outdoor enclosures, Jorge. Are you able to show us a shot of the whole thing and describe their construction? Do they have lids? I would like to one day make some brick or concrete troughs so I'm on the lookout for inspiration.

Congrats on the surprise morphs - it's always nice to find newts you never knew you had.

Thank you Mark! You bet, it´s good to find newts this way.

Regarding the tanks. They are different ones. I guess you are talking exclusively on the 50/50 one were i did find the morphs? The others are all aquatic and have no lid. (larvae tanks)
This 50/50 was built by me 2 years ago and improved last year. Its an old 500L tank that was a pond in the past. Like my interest in caudates grew, I made a land to be able to breed t. marmoratus witch i succeeded last 2 years. I have actually many pics, both of the initial, the construction of the improved one and the phases from virgin cement, to the first plants, and the present abundance of mosses all over.
Like I am a very disorganized guy, I have the pictures lost in a sea of many other pictures on my hard disk. I have to spend an afternoon searching for all of them and then post them here. I have my final exams this week so once I finished them all I will then search and post them here ;).

Cheers,

Jorge

P.s. Actually I am going to make in some months another (third) improvement and transform in a 100% terrestrial woodland terrarium to hopefully breed some Plethodons.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back