- triturus cristatus
- triturus dobrogicus
- triturus dobrogicus macrosoma
- triturus karelinii
- triturus arntzeni

thank you very much
bye bye,
henry

Arntzen, J. W., & Wallis, G. P., 1999. Geographic variation and taxonomy of crested newts (Triturus cristatus superspecies): morphological and mitochondrial DNA data:

"Triturus dobrogicus. Lean build, short legs, narrow tail base, heavily white-stippled sides, black throat with large angular white spots, ventral surface deep orange with many sharp, roundish black spots. Notes : Ventral spots tend to line-up and fuse as in (b). Throat spots are larger in males than in females.

Triturus cristatus. Lean-medium build, medium sized legs, narrow tail base, heavily white-stippled sides, throat a muddied mix of black and yellow with fine white stippling, ventral surface yellow-orange with irregular black spots. Notes : The black spots grow and the spot pattern becomes denser with age.

Triturus carnifex carnifex. Medium build, large legs, tail base medium wide, little or no white stippling on sides, throat colour variable with white stipples. Ventral surface yellow with few large, roundish, ill-defined and muddy-gray to black spots. Notes : Males tend to have darker throats with more and larger white stipples than females.

Triturus carnifex macedonicus. Medium to heavy build, large legs, tail base medium wide, sides densely white-stippled, throat a muddied mix of black and yellow with many, medium sized white stipples. Ventral surface yellow to orange-yellow with a dense pattern of small, irregular spots. Notes : The coloration characteristics are particularly variable and individuals may resemble T. dobrogicus, T. cristatus, T. carnifex carnifex or T. karelinii.

Triturus karelinii. Heavy build, large legs, wide tail base, heavily white-stippled sides, ventral surface yellow-orange with many small to medium-sized black spots, extending on to the tail (especially in females) and continuous with throat where spots tend to be angular."

The original paper can be seen at
Contributions to Zoology
including photos of belly colouration of all species.

This was before the proposed split of arntzeni from karelinii, and so the description for karelinii applies to both.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back