Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dorsol-lateral zone in Lissotriton Vulgaris vulgaris

End

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have some cb 2010 lissotriton vulgaris vulgaris , they are all around 2,5 to 4cm , kept in a terrestrial vivarium, and 3 young-adult animals , two are acquatic now , they measure 6 cm the male and 8 cm the female.
My male is courting non-stop and he started to develop a little tiny crest , wich is perfectly normal
his body was almost completely rounded on land , but now he have a well defined dorso lateral ridge , from what i know L.v.v should be rounded , if i compare mine with pictures around the net he looks more like L.v.graecus except for the almost completely absent tail filament and the hind feet .
So basicly i have some doubt
I completely trust of who sold me those animals , so no really a problem if they are some different sub species , i'm in love with all lissotriton so im more than happy aniway

now some pics , hope somebody can clarify my doubt

thanks for looking

end-albums-more-newts-ect-picture13473-007.jpg

end-albums-more-newts-ect-picture13471-016.jpg

end-albums-more-newts-ect-picture13470-004.jpg

end-albums-more-newts-ect-picture13472-008.jpg

caleb

Reaction score
I've never seen dorso-lateral ridges like that in northern European vulgaris vulgaris, it does look more like one of the southern subspecies.

I don't think you'll be able to get a better guess until his crest is fully developed, but as you're in Italy, is meridionalis not more likely?

Chris Raxworthy wrote a key to the vulgaris subspecies, I'll post it when I get some time.

End

Reaction score
they come from Austria ( Salamanderland )
thanks for the reply

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Coming from there i´d say they could be their L.v.cf. graecus. As Caleb said wait until the animals are a bit more mature and all the secondary sexual characteristics are expressed and developed. Using a key should then be relatively easy.

caleb

Reaction score
OK, I've reproduced the key below. Incidentally, does anyone know of any other breeders who offer non-nominate vulgaris subspecies? I've only ever kept v. vulgaris, but would be interested to try some of the others.

From Raxworthy, C. J., 1990. A review of the smooth newt (Triturus vulgaris) subspecies, including an identification key. Herpetological Journal 1: 481-492.

1. The crest is obviously denticulated along the body: 2
The crest is approximately smooth edged along its entire length: 4

2. The tail tip gradually tapers to a fine point, frequently with a very fine thread-like end. The body cross section is slightly square-shaped dorsally. The crest denticulations may be pointed or rounded: 3

The tail tip usually tapers gradually to a blunt point. The body cross section is rounded in the dorso-lateral region. The crest denticulations are rounded: T. v. vulgaris

3. The toe flaps are not obvious. The crest denticulations are almost pointed and extend onto the tail past the cloaca: T. v. schmidtlerorum

The toe flaps can be seen easily. The denticulations may be rounded or pointed and extend onto the tail past the cloaca: T. v. ampelensis

4. The tail tip ends in a long tail filament which is devoid of tail fin and shows a distinct transition from the rest of the tail. There are obvious well developed dorso-lateral folds on the body: 5

The tail tip tapers gradually to a fine point, showing no distinct transition from the rest of the tail. Dorso-lateral folds may be present or absent: 6

5. No large dark spots typically touch the lower tail fin margin and the pale pelvic line is usually very obvious. Only small spots on the belly (<1.5mm dia): T. v. graecus

Large dark spots typically touch the lower tail fin margin and the pale pelvic line is absent or very poorly developed. Usually a few large spots on the belly (>1.5mm dia): T. v. kosswigi

6. The crest is always smooth edged. There are weak dorso-lateral folds on the body: T. v. meridionalis

The crest may be weakly denticulated. There are no dorso-lateral folds on the body though this is slightly square shaped dorsally: T. v. ampelensis

End

Reaction score
thank you for posting this
anyway his crest is slowly getting bigger and the dorso lateral ridge prominent...
i really hope all the groups are from the same sub-species , honestly i dont like too much the idea to create hybrid.

Maybe the better things to do is to send an e-mail to Gunter with pics.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!