Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: Axolotl babies

Lewy

Reaction score
Here's a couple of our latest hatched Axies - got some spawn last year but lost them all in one go (we believe contaminated food as they onlt died off when they started eating bloodworm)

This year we've done everything different, we've had a few losses but fingers crossed the rest are doing fine at the moment and will continue to do so.

Any ideas what type this is? We bought the spawn so now idea what the parents are. I know some of the ones are Golden and albinos but just wondering about these few.

axolotl_larvae_closeup.jpg

axolotl_larvae.jpg

axolotl_larvae_feeding_on_daphnia.jpg

and to give you an idea of size:
axolotl_larvae_sized.jpg

Would post some pics of the albinos but they are really hard to get a decent picture of them - they're so see through you can't see them to focus on them (even manually) Any tips for taking photos of albinos? :D

melfly

Reaction score
Hello, i'm not far from you i'm in sheffield. They look like wild type those dark ones. Can you tell if they have reflective eyes? How many do you have and what are your plans for them. Mel

Lewy

Reaction score
I thought Wildtypes would be completely black and not as patchy - it's like these are a mix or golden/wildtype - Out of the 25ish we got we have about 10 left.

Some just didn't eat in the early days and stayed very small, eventually they gave up, some were eaten by other axies until we separated them into individual tanks (Cricket keeper sized)

The last ten or so seem to be doing okay at the moment. Daily feeding and water changes is working fine so far.

We're hoping to keep 3-4 in a custom fibreglass tank (like the ones they have Koi carp in in garden centres) and our favourite two out of the lot will be kept in tanks in the house. any of the rest that make it will be sold to people that know what they're doing with amphibians.

slimer

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah those are wildtypes, the colors and patterns will change somewhat as they grow. melanoids would be more of a solid dark grayish color with no shiney eye ring,
As for taking pictures of the albinos, might be easier if you put the water container over something dark like a piece of black paper, or a dark shirt ect.

melfly

Reaction score
You'll be able to tell better as they get bigger. Wildtypes can be very dark or very light. Some that start dark can turn to white with black eyes. Mel

michaelaf

Reaction score
they are cute. my 3 i just got look alot like them, but i can not seem to get a picture of them.

Lewy

Reaction score
... But they are too little to eat the bloodworms. You should feed them newly hatched brine shrimps for the first 2 weeks.

Take a look at this link: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/microfoods.shtml

-Tina-
Thanks Tina - They've been on daphnia for weeks, They moved up to blood worm when they started developing their front legs, they're eating them fine... Here's an up to date photo

Axolotl_macro1.jpg

albino_axolotl_larvae_macro_head_close.jpg

albino_axolotl_larvae_close2.jpg

Last edited:

Samyueruchan

Reaction score
I love the look of baby wildtypes. They're so cute. The albino is remarkable though! I've never seen a picture of such a young albino before. I would just find watching its heartbeat so fascinating!

Glad to hear that your babies are doing well!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!