My cute axolotls hugging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there, I know she was way smaller than the others, but she made a great recovery and she is fine and her legs are almost full length grown back in perfect condition. My other axolotls are harmless and seem very laid back. Thank you for your concern.:)

My other axolotls are harmless and seem very laid back.

LOL, they are a predator who eats smaller members of its own species, just because they haven't attacked the smaller one doesn't mean they wont at some point (nor does it mean they necessarily will). There is however a risk of injury to the smaller one if the size difference becomes to large, if you choose to run that risk its up to you.

LOL, they are a predator who eats smaller members of its own species, just because they haven't attacked the smaller one doesn't mean they wont at some point (nor does it mean they necessarily will). There is however a risk of injury to the smaller one if the size difference becomes to large, if you choose to run that risk its up to you.

Do you realise that's abusive? Redjesta has obviously nursed his axolotl back to health and has many hides for them. To straight up assume he is wrong is just rude.

Do you realise that's abusive? Redjesta has obviously nursed his axolotl back to health and has many hides for them. To straight up assume he is wrong is just rude.

Just reread my post to check I wasn't inadvertently rude and I cant see anything to apolagise for . I was stating a fact, by Redjestas own admission the axolotl is "way smaller than the others" and may potentially be seen as food at some point by its tank mates. Axolotls of a similar size generally make good tanks mates but they do occasionally injure each other, missing limbs and toes are not uncommon, generally they are the result of accidents rather than deliberate attacks. Smaller axolotls however , are seen as a food source, behind their little smiley face lurks a killer and if people wish to keep "way" smaller axolotls with larger ones they are running a risk , that is a fact and hardly needs to be labelled "abusive."

I don't think a giant LOL was nessesary, in the end we all learn by trying out things. It's not needed to make belittle people like that

I don't think a giant LOL was nessesary, in the end we all learn by trying out things. It's not needed to make belittle people like that

LOL, why try to experience dead axolotls ? The dangers of mixing different sized axolotls are well documented. I assume my advice will be ignored anyway, so feel free to ignore the LOLs.

I'm sure that if any of them start having problems they will be separated.

The first time could be a lost limb or a dead axolotl. I honestly do not understand your attitude. If you think I am lying or exaggerating the potential dangers of keeping axolotls of different sizes together, do some research and avail yourself of the facts.

I appreciate your concern nai live but there is no trouble. However you did sound rude with your LOL replies and i really don't appreciate you writing things which sound so rude and that i am a bad owner for keeping my axolotls together.
I saved Geisha my little axolotl with one leg and now she has more then doubled in size and has 4 healthy legs again (with the help from Kaysie, a moderator here online) and I would never want to put her in danger so i wouldn't have put her back in the tank if I thought there was a threat to her safety.
The size differnce is only a few centimetres now so I have no worries keeping them together.
AND OF COURSE i have read about the dangers of keeping differrent sized axolotls together. As well as the fact that i feed them every single day and hand feeding each to make sure they all get fed and they won't snap at one another...

Thankyou for your support Olivia. I really feel like nai live was being rude to me. I know he is just trying to give advice but you can always be more friendly and not as defensive. Especially when he/she doesn't understand the current situation of my tank. Also the aussie way of writing, by saying huge difference when i actually mean a small difference. ;) Thankyou ^___^

Last edited:
I really feel like nai live was being rude to me. I know he is just trying to give advice but you can always be more friendly and not as defensive.

I am not trying to be friendly I am trying to explain the potential dangers of keeping mixed sizes of axolotls together as my only concern is for your axolotls and not your feelings. The albino is blatantly smaller than the darker one in the picture, it is not just a matter of length but body mass as well. The lost limb will restrict the growth of the smaller one whilst the other one may continue to grow, thus potentially increasing the likelihood of any future problems. What you do with the information is up to you. As for being defensive .... LOL.

I am not trying to be friendly I am trying to explain the potential dangers of keeping mixed sizes of axolotls together as my only concern is for your axolotls and not your feelings. The albino is blatantly smaller than the darker one in the picture, it is not just a matter of length but body mass as well. The lost limb will restrict the growth of the smaller one whilst the other one may continue to grow, thus potentially increasing the likelihood of any future problems. What you do with the information is up to you. As for being defensive .... LOL.

Nai Live, I think you'll find that taking away from our reputation was clearly an unnecessary thing to do. I think you're abusing your right on this site to contribute fairly and friendly. You have no idea on the circumstances of this aquarium, you may have "experience" however you're not the only person to ever own an axolotl.

Ok then.. I understand that your just trying to help but the picture is already 2 months old, posting it a while after i had taken it SO my little axolotl has grown and now has 4 healthy leg Just About full length and is close to being to same size as my black axolotl-just a few centimetres shorter..
There is no way I would ever "risking pets safety by misunderstanding their behavior" like you reported I have done...Its just a joke that you would say such a thing about me. I care so much for my axolotls and if i did think it was endagering any of them i would fix the situation Straight away..
And there is a difference between giving helpful information and being rude!! And you have just been plain rude in most of your comments so i would appreciate it if you would please stop writing to me unless it is useful information you are giving me and not abusive/offensive comments... ESPECIALLY when you don't even know the current situation.!!

I can see you have alot of reputation points which means you know what your talking about but in this case you were wrong and have been rude so please don't assume you know best about my axolotl...

Well, RedJesta, i don´t mean to be rude, but you did take a serious and very unnecessary risk when you originally put those animals together. You got lucky and nothing serious happened, but it could have.
People generally react in a very protective way when it is implied that they made a less than optimal choice in keeping their beloved animals, but regardless, that is the case. It was a temerity to put those two together. I hope you won´t take such risks in the future, because you might not have the chance to intervene at all. Prevention is the best option.

Ok. Understood.
But there was no big difference in their sizes >_< but i understand that everyone is trying to give helpful advice, Thanks.

I hand feed each of them every night so they don't snatch at one another. I have alot of hiding spots for them all and there was only a few centimetres difference. My other axololts are very relaxed and have never snapped at one another. The little Geisha and Gizmo are the same size and the other 2 are 2-3 cms bigger so there is no problem and There hasn't been from the very start.!! I don't see how anything could happen when there are No limbs to be bitten off by the bigger ones too.!! There was nothing there to bite BUT the main thing is, everything is ok... I would never want to harm my axolotls in any way. I'm over it, nothing happened. Besides if an axolotl is going to attack (at any size) there isn't much you can do until you notice them and react accordingly, right! Was i supposed to let Geisha grow up in a container for her life until she could go into the tank.?
Anyway, maybe i am lucky that i have very relaxed and calm axolotls and this situation won't ever happen again in the future. no worries ^___^

Thankyou for your concern....and for not being rude with the LOLs.

Was i supposed to let Geisha grow up in a container for her life until she could go into the tank.?

Yes, that would have been the responsible and apropriate thing to do. I´m afraid you are seriously underestimating the potential harm that could have resulted from this situation.

Bad? No. Irresponsible?Certainly.
They might be a household pet but they are not stuffed animals...they are alive.
What if there´s a risk? Well, from your perspective, probably, not much, but from the animal´s perspective there is much to loose, in fact as much as its life. This was an entirely preventable and unnecessary risk, which is why i have no problem in comdemning it. I have no delusions that i´m going to change your mind or Red´s, but other people lurking around and reading this thread might learn a valuable lesson. Taking in unnecessary, life threatening risks for your animals is irresponsible and unethical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back