Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Animal Informational Plaques - What do people think of the idea?

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

For years I have been making for myself these little Information Plaques for all my animal enclosures and to me it gives any Tank a nice touch, but people started asking me where I got them/How I made them etc. After a while started making them for people for free, until I stopped due to people kind of taking advantage of a free service... (Basically asking me to make up to 20 Animal species plaques, sometimes as many as 40 from scratch by a certain deadline)

Anyway, thinking about starting this up again but might charge a very small fee depending how I feel about it and if I stick to emailing or actually doing them on card and laminating them.

Either way I am in the middle of making them before I start showing them off but I just wanted to see what you guys think of the Idea? I will get some photos up of my own ones I have or old ones :)

Thank you guys,

TyloDude

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Right, here are a few photos of old plaques I have made for myself. The information is a lot better and a lot more updated on most of them :)

They can all be personalised if you want something unique to anyone else's but they all contain the following information as a basic starter:

• Common Name
  • Latin Name
  • Origin
  • Habitat
  • Life Expectancy
  • Diet
  • Conservation
  • Map Highlighting its Origin
  • Toxic or any other H&S Sign (Just for show really)
  • Endangerment Chart
  • Breeding

here they are:
tylototritonguy-albums-animal-set-ups-picture24853-a.jpg

tylototritonguy-albums-animal-set-ups-picture24852-a.jpg

tylototritonguy-albums-animal-set-ups-picture24851-a.jpg

Thank you for looking, please let me know what you think as I might even end up giving these away if I'm honest! Within reason, don't expect 30 plaques that havent been done to be made in only a few days and get ratty when its taken a week :p

Sean90

Reaction score
Think it's a good idea makes it like your private collection. My previous college done something similar but not as detailed.

AngieD

Reaction score
My boyfriend has designed signs for some of his reptiles.
I like yor signs too, they look very professional

FrogEyes

Reaction score
They're a good idea. A major drug store here does all kinds of photo products, and I use their plastic photo plaques to make stone-like award plaques. Photo image of polished stone as a background for desk-top publishing, saved as high resolution jpg, printed to hard plastic.

For the items above, I would just make some minor corrections before distributing [mainly, have a second person "edit" to help catch errors].

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Thank you all for the feed back!! :)

these are a few years old however the design is still the same maybe a few extra headings add :)

I might charge for however much it costs to produce them and then add on a tiny amount just for profit but shall work that all out soon :) But I don't like asking money for things I would just be happy giving them away or just the template haha!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1