Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My daughter loves feeding our Axolotl! (Video)

CousinLarry

Reaction score
Every day my 2yr old asks to feed "Chewie". She loves that, and loves finding worms outside for him.

I got Chewie in January as a larvae. Didn't think he'd make it this far but he's thriving now! I just put him in this tank and am planning on stopping by the river to get some river rocks for the bottom. I also need to get the filter set up, waiting on cartridges so for now I'm doing water changes every two days.

Ella feeding Chewie - YouTube

keiko

Reaction score
Beautiful little axie. My 2 year old goddaughter loves worms and axies too. It's adorable.
Was there something wrong with him if you didn't think he would make it?

auntiejude

Reaction score
I'd skip the river rocks - or maybe just get one or 2 for decoration - they are an absolute pain to keep clean as all the poop and gunge gets stuck between/under them. Bare bottom or sand is good.

I have had a few people ask to feed my axies until the are told they eat live worms, then they change their mind :D

CousinLarry

Reaction score
I thought I heard sand was not good? If that's OK then I will go with a sand bottom!

I didn't think he'd make it because I've never had one of these before. After seeing how tiny it was and knowing it was relying on me hatching brine shrimp every day - I just figured the odds were against him!! He's definitely a lively one, best amphibian I've ever met! Hahaa

keiko

Reaction score
Well looks like you did a good job. :D

Sand is great with axies. The grain size just has to be small so that if the axie accidentally ingests some of it it won't cause an impaction.

CousinLarry

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks!! I am going to stop by the pet store on my way home!!

CousinLarry

Reaction score
Picked up some sand. He seems to like it! He's walking all over checking everything out. haha

chewiesand.jpg

I have a 10gl aquarium with a bunch of different types of shrimp and live plants. I was thinking of taking a couple plants from that one and putting them in with him. Maybe I can drop a ghost shrimp in too as a snack?! They're breeding out of control, I have way too many!

allied123

Reaction score
That sand looks exactly like what I want to get for my tank! where did you get it, if you don't mind me asking? I've really been wanting to get ghost shrimp too but I can't seem to find them either... Plants and ghost shrimp or red cherry shrimp are perfect for an axie tank :)

CousinLarry

Reaction score
I got that sand at PetSmart near me. I have him in a 5gl tank right now and the 5lb bag covered the bottom with a couple inches.

I have five different types of shrimp in the other tank. I got the conditions just right and they breed like crazy now. If you live near CT by any chance, I have a few for you! Or if you live close by and want to pay for shipping I'll send you a few.

allied123

Reaction score
Oh no lol I'm in Florida, way too far to pick up and shipping is so expensive :/ thank you for the offer though you're so kind! I thought that sand might be the same thing was looking at from petsmart but just wasn't sure how smooth it was, it looks perfect! I was hoping the shrimp were from a chain too >.<

keiko

Reaction score
Just a little tip: You only want maybe 1 inch of sand. If there's a lot of sand it's easier for anaerobic gases to build up under it. It's also good to stir the sand a bit every now and then to prevent the gases.

CousinLarry

Reaction score
Actually, PetSmart IS where I got the Ghost shrimp!

I picked up a dozen about a year ago.. I've gotten my tank conditions perfect for breeding so I have three or four with eggs at all times. Little ones running around everywhere.. hahaa

There's a mom & pop fish store near me that gets the exotic shrimp in. I have Red Cherries that also breed, Pinnochio, Blue, Yeloow, Japonica, and I think that's it.. I just know there's a bunch and three different types are breeding.. All the plants are live too.

Here's some pics:

fishtank060514.jpg

10463983_10152190881683779_6095281082144983685_n.jpg

shrimp071614.jpg

shrimp060514.jpg

ghostshrimpwitheggs.jpg

CousinLarry

Reaction score
Well.. This is not good :(

I woke up this morning to find Chewie floating nose up in the tank. He looked a little more red than normal and appeared dead. I touched him and he barely moved at all.. Just floating almost dead. I noticed poo hanging out of his butt, and his butt looked a little red/sore.. I rubbed his belly and a bunch of poo came out but he's barely even moving at all.. I think he's almost dead :(
He didn't eat at all yesterday.

Could the sand have caused this!!?????? Nothing was changed except the sand and I put a CFL light on the tank! I just sucked out half of his water and put fresh water in but he's still not moving.. I think he's done. My daughter is going to be sad. :(

:confused::confused:

CousinLarry

Reaction score
Well this thread went from happy to sad... Chewie did not make it :(

I wish I never put the sand in now. I can't help but think that had to do it. I rinsed it out and everything, I don't know what happened. He never ate a worm from the minute I put in the sand till today when he died. Two days. Man. I don't know what to say.

He will be getting a proper burial in the back yard tonight. My daughter is going to be sad that she can't feed him anymore.

RIP Chewie. 1/14 - 8/14

allied123

Reaction score
omg that's horrible! i can't even imagine how upset you are! after we all told you sand was fine...I don't understand what could have killed him so quick, I'm really hoping it wasn't the sand :( I'm so sorry for your loss :,(

keiko

Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( I've never heard of an axie dying because of sand. Unless there was like chemicals or something that affected the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1