Setup for future lotl

joebot97

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's some pictures I took of the setup I have for the axolotl I plan to get sometime very soon. It's all cycled and ready to go. The rocks on the right form a little cave hide (supported well so it won't collapse). The filter is an Aqueon and the flow was pretty bad so I DIY'd my own baffler which redirects most the flow to the surface. The substrate is black sand. I have some thriving duckweed in there at the top, all the other plants are fake but awesome. I have a light above the tank so I can see better (it's actually in a closet so it stays cooler) but I made sure there was plenty of shade to offset the light for the little guy. I plan to feed pellets/worms in the dish so it's easier cleanup.

So.
I'm a wee bit excited :) I've always been a huge reptile and amphibian person and that whole thing started when I got a red eared slider my freshman year. I've been super into aquatic tanks ever since, making the animals thrive, and axolotls are just such fascinating critters I finally saved up all the money I needed to put together a tank for one.

I'm looking at the sales page for lotls for sale, it's hard to choose where I want it from. I want a leucistic, 3-5 inches is fine with me. I'll be contacting someone tomorrow unless anyone here has a specific recommendation!

pHqBIzR.jpg

hrYKuKI.jpg

Margie was the breeder i got my two axies from - she's a forum member. They arrived in perfect health and are doing great in their new home. Highly recommend.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back