Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Wellness check, where’s the poops?!

Nkalda95

Reaction score
Hey guys,

We’ve had our little axi Robert for about a year now. (And yes we beilieve he’s a female.) he has been showing no signs of stress or sickness, eats regularly, but I haven’t been able to find any signs that he’s been pooping. I’m worried he’s constipated but I want to be sure before I resort to a fridge treatment, I don’t want to risk hurting him if it’s unnecessary. Do the dark spots on his belly seem normal, or does it look like back up? He eats a diet of Live earthworms and ghost shrimp, and has never shown a loss of appetite. He stays fairly active and like I said, shows no obvious signs of any problems. Now that I’m worried, everything he does is starting to appear as a sign of possible problems so could you guys take a look at this pictures posted and tell me what you think? Thank you!

Attachments

• 6DB8B916-E065-4DF8-BE00-D23EA6FE8FB1.jpg
    6DB8B916-E065-4DF8-BE00-D23EA6FE8FB1.jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 4806ECAE-9D97-4824-A140-E48408B5EAB1.jpg
    4806ECAE-9D97-4824-A140-E48408B5EAB1.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 7EE97DF6-24D4-434F-9E9B-86F01B275C69.jpg
    7EE97DF6-24D4-434F-9E9B-86F01B275C69.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 154

Biev

Reaction score
She looks healthy to me. As long as she’s eating a normal amount, I wouldn’t worry about not seeing poop. Sometimes they eat their own poop. Mine do!

(edit) Looks like Robert is a Roberta ; ) Maybe a Bobbie?

Nkalda95

Reaction score
Yes, we were planning on getting her a tankmate before we knew how to tell the gender, luckily the woman at the pet store cautioned us about making sure so we don’t endup with a bunch of babies. But since we’ve had him (her) for a year now we can’t seem to stop calling her a him so we’re staying with the name Robert ? Very modern household haha. Thanks for the feedback though! Finally saw a nice big poop a few days ago.

JM29

Reaction score
Hello,

Excuse me to answer so late but I'd like to share an observation :
In spring and automn, the diet of my axies is mainly earthworms.
Earthworms seem to be very well assimilated, so that the poops are rare and mainly made of a bit of clean earth (the worm's gut) wich doesn't last a long time.

I then usually see few or no poop in these conditions and I never worry about it.

Conversely, in summer, when earthworms tend to be difficult to find, I need to use pellets or others foods and then I see more often poops (and more algae also).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1