Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The first of a series of poorly made hillbilly food films!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Here is the first of a series of short films about the lazy way to handle live food for your caudates.

Enjoy!

watch

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Funny video :D! It's not everyday you get to see some worm catching, chain smoking, pug dog action.

Looking forward to the next labour saving instalment. Train that dog to chop worms into bite sized chunks....

bewilderbeast

Reaction score
I will immediately attempt this! I even have a pug dog handy... I wasn't sure if cigarettes were needed to properly emulate the process but I will do it anyway just to be sure ;).

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I've found that this technique is a bit hit and miss - right time of year, right conditions and it will work well but in less than ideal conditions it might not turn up a single worm. Your mileage may vary. Still, an entertaining video. Thanks for sharing.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Nice video man.
And remember, don´t smoke, it´s bad for you.... :p

Ralf

Reaction score
AW: The first of a series of poorly made hillbilly food films!

Looking forward to the next episodes. Thanks a lot! :D

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I've found that this technique is a bit hit and miss - right time of year, right conditions and it will work well but in less than ideal conditions it might not turn up a single worm. Your mileage may vary. Still, an entertaining video. Thanks for sharing.

Agreed, depends on your locale, and soil conditions also. This time of year in the Midwest, It is a sure thing, but by mid August it can take a few days of preparation by soaking the same spot with water a few days in a row. I remedy the situation by making up multiple farm boxes while the harvesting is good.

The next episode is currently filming, it will be "Brine Shrimp for the Lazy Chapter 1". This one will have three chapters as there are two methods of hatching I wish to demonstrate, and a bit on decapsulating cysts the safe way.

Future topics will include Daphnia, White Worms, Vinegar Eels, Crickets, and Fruit Flies.
I am going to do a few on Aquarium basics also, such as building custom fit fruit fly (and pinhead cricket) proof screen tops (Including bow front and other oddly shaped tops), Air pump repair, larvae and microfood safe disposable filters from recycled materials, and aquarium cycling.

If there is a topic you would like to see covered, post in this thread. I get really bored in the summer, and this little endeavor helps to pass the time.

SnakeDancer

Reaction score
Future topics will include Daphnia, White Worms, Vinegar Eels, Crickets, and Fruit Flies.
I am going to do a few on Aquarium basics also, such as building custom fit fruit fly (and pinhead cricket) proof screen tops (Including bow front and other oddly shaped tops), Air pump repair, larvae and microfood safe disposable filters from recycled materials, and aquarium cycling.

Oooh ... looking forward to these! :)

Slimy2

Reaction score
This video was funny. It has rained all week,(and it is raining now) so I can't try that anytime soon. I can't wait to see the next videos.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!