Bernardezi babies

beefsteak

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
John Schwarzkopf
Two pictures;
A fat new-born AND Two babies born only minutes apart looking very different(10 minutes old!)??
One baby bernardezi came out with gills!!(no picture)

Attachments

• Born December second 2008 025.jpg
    Born December second 2008 025.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 982
  • Born December second 2008 007.jpg
    Born December second 2008 007.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 786
In that second picture the baby is really fat, how can that?
Has he eaten a brother or sister in his mother belly?

I dont know why it was born so big. Dose anyone know if there might be "canibalism in the womb" with these guys? I saw ashow once where a certain sharks babies do this.

Congratulations. I had never seen anything like that, both the obese neonate, and the gilled large baby. Very interesting indeed....thanx for sharing.

Rather than being obese, that plump salamander may have severe edema. I have seen the same thing rarely in newborn toads. It would be an indication of an osmoregulatory problem and would likely limit the chances of survival for that individual.

You may be able to tell by "candling" the juvenile in a clear plastic container with a flashlight. Depending on the opacity of the skin, you should be able to tell if the "fat" areas are filled with translucent fluid, or full of more opaque fat or tissue.

-Tim

Two pictures;
A fat new-born AND Two babies born only minutes apart looking very different(10 minutes old!)??
One baby bernardezi came out with gills!!(no picture)

I have some bernardezi babies in an enclosed outdoor set up. It was quite a shock to find my first one, I did not know the mother was pregnant. Since then I have found 5 young and a larger one possibly a year older. I shall have to be more observant. Although in defence today I could find none of them! Oh and they all look like the second picture but slimmer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back