Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

leucistic neotenic larva

franceschino

Reaction score
Hi all
I'm posting some pictures of my 9 months old salamandra larva. It's leucistic and neotenic, it shows no signs of wanting to morph and it belongs to the nominate subspecies.
ciao

Attachments

• albino1.jpg
    albino1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,181
  • albino2.jpg
    albino2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,212
  • albino3.jpg
    albino3.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,253

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What a cute little freak. Do you think the two are related? That is the leucistism causing the neoteny?

coendeurloo

Reaction score
The two (leucism and neoteny) are often related in other species, such as Mesotriton (Ichtyosaura?) alpestris.

franceschino

Reaction score
they are also both recessive and show up more often in inbred populations.

tdimler

Reaction score
Francesco,

Do you think you could induce it to morph with reduced water level and increased temperature?

franceschino

Reaction score
Hi Travis
salamandra larvae can't tollerate high temps (above 20-22°C) so I would probably kill it if I increased temps of the water. If it gets to adult size without morphing though I'm going to try giving it some tyroxine. Infact once it morphs it will be able to breed and who knows..maybe one day I'll have a leucistic strain of salamandras.

tdimler

Reaction score
Francesco,

I know that salamandra larva can't tolerate high temps...I was thinking if you were keeping it in the 13-15 range...that increasing it to 20-22 might trigger it to morph. It may just be me, but I think it would be healthier to morph at this size than adult....if it morphed at adult size it might have a harder time adapting to land...feeding, etc.

I would love to see it as a terrestrial adult..it would be stunning. Please keep me posted on the progress.

Travis

franceschino

Reaction score
updated pictures...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 3,118
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 4,079
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 760

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The caudal fin appears to have reduced slightly and it's lost much of it's larval spots. The colouring you'd expect on a new morph is starting to appear. I wonder what will happen...:confused:

Thanks for posting an update - show us more in a few months.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would want to keep it neotonic, but apparently that's just the fishkeeper in me.
I think your idea is a little misguided, bobberly. It's not the keeper's choice whether the animal remains neotenic. It does, or it doesn't, according to its own biological program, and the keeper has to provide the habitat to accommodate it, whatever it does.

lettgv

Reaction score
I have two of these from my first breeding batch. They are five months old and of all in the litter only one has metamorphosed. Any ideas whether they will, or will they remain neotenic?
Thanks

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Francesco passed away a few years ago. I don't know what happened to his collection. Perhaps one of the European keepers has more information on that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1