White blotches on Fire Salamanders under belly

Giles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've have taken on two Fire Salamanders in the last week and have found that both seem to have white sploges on their underneaths. I took them in from someone that had to move house, they had noticed the marks and had said they had been there when they had had them (for 8 months) from someone who wasnt looking after them properly.

I believe them to be sub-adult S.Salamandra, they came to me in a RUB with a substrate that was waterlogged and very smelly. I have got them a 2ft 7ins x 1.5ft tank with good ventilation and am just in the process of turning it into a natural set up for them. At the moment they are only in a basic tank with good ventilation with a kitchen role substrate until the end of the week when the tank should be ready.

I cant provide any pictures just yet as I dont want to disturb them too much, was just seeing if it was something i should be worried about.

They have been kept too wet, the blothes will recede and go when they are on a DAMPnot wet substrate.

Pics would be good to see

Ben

Thanks for getting back to me, thats a relief. I did wonder because it didn't look normal and yet there were no noticable signs it was effecting them too much. Just to be sure, as I'm putting the new tank together tomorrow, I will take a picture of boths underbelly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back