Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding Channel catfish.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think it will be long before my three Channel cats will be mature and I would like to give breeding them a go. Almost all the info I can find online relates to farming them for food or using them in aquaponics, I know they will need some kind of secure cave type structure for the female to lay her eggs and I already have that part worked out, but that's about all I know at this point. I realise this is an amphibian forum, not Planet Catfish, but there's a lot of members from the USA where this might have been done before so I figured I'd ask here first. :)

supergrappler

Reaction score
Channel cats are like roaches. They are very prolific! Delicious too if you cook em right. Otherwise they taste like mud.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, they're my pets, I couldn't eat them.. mind you, they do look like there's a lot of meat on 'em! 8) 8)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1