Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best source or Triturus literature

R

ray

What book in the English language provides the most information about the natural history/care of Triturus?

mike

Reaction score
For natural history, probably: Newts and Salamanders of Europe, R.A.Griffiths, ISBN 0-85664-100-X, also good information in: The Amphibians of the former Soviet Union, S.L.Kuzmin, ISBN 954-642-045-X.
For care, the Caudata Culture species database.
happy.gif

R

ray

What about Amphibians in Captivity by Marc Staniszewski? That is the only other book I'm considering.

Last edited by a moderator:

mike

Reaction score
Yes Ray, I have his book in my Library, unfortunately I tend relate to TFH publications as good "picture books", which is unfair I think in this case, as it contains sound information.

R

ray

Thanks for all the info. Someone really needs to sit down and write a good book about newts, especially European newts. It would not have to be a huge volume: maybe something like Chris Mattison's, <u>Keeping and Breeding Lizards</u>.

simon

Reaction score
What about Chris Mattison`s"Keeping and breeding Amphibians".That is definetly one of the good books on amphibians I think

R

ray

I was considering getting that book as well. It's less expensive than Staniszewski' book. I enjoyed Mattison's "Keeping and Breeding Lizards" and I still think it's one of the the best general lizard book around. I'd imagine his amphibian book would be good too (I may just have to hunt down a copy and see for myself).

mike

Reaction score
I have a copy of this book. (In fact every herpetological book that Chris has written!) It was first published in 1993, and I don't believe it has been revised. For this reason only, it isn't "cutting edge".

R

ray

What's it worth in terms of Triturus care?

(Message edited by triturus on March 20, 2004)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!