Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bad eye

F

francesco

Hi
My 2 year old bernardezi has a white eye
cry.gif
. Two days ago she seemed all right and I didn't notice anything wrong whit the eye. The other one is perfectly normal.
Could it be bacteria or fungi?

morg

Reaction score
One of my S s gallaica got a white eye a few months back,I took her to the vets who gave me baytril, and some eye drops.
I was also advised to bathe the eye in lukewarm chamomile tea before using they drops.
The eye cleared up in just over a week.
Its thought that she got a bit of substrate in the eye which then became infected.

F

francesco

Thanks guys the salamander has completely recovered. A friend of mine told me to put a yellowish cream that people use and that did the job. I can't remember what it was made of but when I get home I'll check and let you know.
Cheers
Francesco

mike

Reaction score
Possibly 'Golden Eye Ointment' Francesco.

In the UK it is used to treat bacterial eye infections.......active ingredient is Propamidine Isethionate.

Anyway I'm pleased that your fire salamander has made a full recovery.
smile6.gif

F

francesco

Mike
I think it's something similar... it's called "unguento di mercurio ossido giallo 2%" which means yellow mercury oxide 2% ointment. It contains yellow mercury oxide, paraffin oil and white vaseline. It's an antibacterial so I guess the problem was a bacterial infection.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1