Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unconventional feeder fish

Seanomon

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am the proud owner of an adolescent Axolotle. His name is Bruce Lee and he is white with black eyes (not technically an albino, but the name has escaped me.) Perhaps this is the wrong place to post such a thing but I'm wondering about feeding him. I've been feeding him pellets and frozen blood worms, but live worms are unavailable to me. I'm living in Japan where many different fish can be acquired cheaply. My Axolotle is still to small to eat feeder fish, but I imagine he could do quite a number on neon tetras or medakas. I've been warned that neon tetras are actually toxic. I read another post proposing them as a viable feeder fish, but I really want a little more confirmation. So, what do you guys think? I could do it one of several ways. I could buy a large population of either or both breeds of fish and keep them in a separate tank where they could proliferate, and then move a few to Bruce's tank for the purpose of feeding, or I could let them all stay together as a big happy family. Of course, I would provide a staple food in addition to these snacks. So... What should I do? Should I get both breeds, or just one? Should they live together, or apart? I'm leaving this in Your hands

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If pellets are available to you, I wouldn't even bother with feeder fish. The biggest problems with feeder fish are disease, which is minimized if you breed your own; and the fact that fish can damage axolotls. They have spines and can nibble on gills. There are a few species that are somewhat acceptable. You can find lots of threads in this section.

White + black eyes = Leucistic. I find it funny that you named a leucistic axolotl after an Asian. hehe

buterflybaby22

Reaction score
I 100% agree. For now on I am sticking with pellets. Both times I feed my axolytls feeder wish they got some sort of sickness. It was so sad and luckly they got better with the use of salt baths. They love the live fish but rosy reds are they type of feeder fish I used and will never chance it again.

Visi

Reaction score
I also live in Japan. Medaka in English are killie fish if you want to look up more about them. (I've been trying to find information on their nutritional value to axolotl too.) . Thank you, Kaysie, for the helpful link!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!