Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl vanity

raptorfarian

Reaction score
I have very recently become the owner of two axolotls, a wild type called stumpy (because of his missing right hand) and a leucistic that is yet to be named. Stumpy was purchased Monday this week with the leucistic arriving on Wendsday. However to my dismay the leucistic was far smaller then I accepted dwarfed by stumpy forcing me to keep them separate because of stumpys predatory advances. However after this event both axolotls seem to adore their reflections, with stumpy constantly looking at himself and swimming into the glass.

Is this normal ?

Also I have had trouble getting stumpy to eat frozen blood worms opposed to live ones, and I cant had feed it to him as they are so messy. While the leucistic eats them voraciously.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad you were able to separate them. I've never seen axolotl go after their own reflection, but it doesn't sound particularly abnormal.

I suspect that stumpy will eat the frozen ones if you let him get good and hungry first. Alternatively, I would recommend switching both of them to eating chopped earthworms. These are a lot easier to clean up and most axolotls love them.

Minniechild

Reaction score
Agreed on the earthworms! Or, if you want to use bloodworms as a treat, thaw them out and get a small plastic pipette, suck them up, and squirt them right in front of his nose. Be warned, they learn quick, and will take great delight in attacking the pipette once they know it is the source of goodies :D

raptorfarian

Reaction score
I managed to get stumpy. to eat the blood worms by luring him with the end of a red pencil. he has gotten the taste for them now. I was feeding him earthworms before hand though and as soon as the blood worms are finished I'll order in a bunch.

One thing I must ask though is do all leucistics start out spotty and slightly yellow when their about 6cm. Because I was hoping for a normal white leucistic.

SapphireTigress

Reaction score
LOL vain axies! you should take a picture! I had a texas leucistic rat snake who seemed to love looking at her reflection :p

Queed

Reaction score
i also seem to have a very vain axie....mickie will sit at the end of his tank and stare at the glass..and follow his reflection back and forth...

Attachments

• vain lol.jpg
    vain lol.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 416

Beaniepompom

Reaction score
Just got mine yesterday and he seems to stick to that one corner staring at his reflection. He swims along with it too, it keeps him interested for hours!

Attachments

• IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 292
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1