Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra colours???

stablefly

Reaction score
This year in my breeding I have at least 2 salamandra that have morphed out very bright orange, and a few more are showing the same in the late larval stages. I have not seen this in the last 6 years of breeding these animals but there is a new female in this group.

In the experience of any one else breeding them have you observed any colour changes, like orange back to yellow? I know through observation there are significant changes in pattern over the course of a year or so and I have noticed pattern changes in animals as old as 4 years.

stablefly

Reaction score
her is one with a yellow.

Attachments

• salamandra.jpg
    salamandra.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 513

sergé

Reaction score
Yes, the orange can disappear and turn to yellow. But...you can never tell in advance for sure. But after one year the intensity of yellow or orange is how it will stay. The red coloration observed in subspeices like gallaica is something completely different and grows while the animal matures and becomes visable mostly on former black parts of the body.

stablefly

Reaction score
I was out of the country for a few weeks there.
Sergé, thanks for the reply, and good to know. So far 21 out of 32 are orange and 3 have orange head and yellow body markings. Too bad that I hold little faith in them keeping these colours. As well one larvae was a solid gold colour with only some black mottling on the tail edges... it has since become a normal terrestrial salamander.
Thanks again

uwe

Reaction score
Hi,
feeding the feeders with carotinoides helps too keep/intensify the color. As it is always recommended to feed crickets before giving them to the animals, put carrot oder (red) bell-pepper pieces in the box (be aware of molding!).

Uwe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!