Out in full daylight

Bikebiddy

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
My albino lives with 2 other axolotyl in my large pond. The water clarity is good. He is sitting out in full view during the day, not moving. Normally they only come out at night. Does this mean he is sick?

Attachments

• 74F2E9DF-8949-4EE5-B2F2-96C08DFFDB5B.jpg
    74F2E9DF-8949-4EE5-B2F2-96C08DFFDB5B.jpg
    557 KB · Views: 150
Interesting! The gills do look a little forward facing which can indicate stress. How much water flow is in the pond? Can you test the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? I would imagine being outside there may be significant temperature fluctuations which would be stressful on the axolotl. Have you been able to monitor the temp over the course of day/night to see? Check on the forum here for other people keeping axolotls outside to see if there is more info.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back