Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Program for the 12th Salamanderday in the Netherlands

S

sergé

I am proud to announce the program for the 12th annual meeting of the Dutch Salamander Society (www.salamanders.nl).

You are all invited, although the language is dutch, there is always some translation possible!

Place: Mini zoo de Oliemeulen www.oliemeulen.nl
Tilburg, The Netherlands
Entrance fee is around 5 euro's

9.30 u. Hall open

10.00 u. - 10.15 u. Welcome, by the chairman Willem Calten Houwing

10.15 u. - 11.00 u. Ecology, morphology and genetical relationship of the Anatolian brook newt, Neurergus strauchii (by Sergé Bogaerts, Frank Pasmans, Tonnie Woeltjes en Salvador Carranza)

11.00 u. – 11.30 u. Break

11.30 u. – 12.00 u. How I keep my salamanders and newts (by Rob Bos)

12.15 u. - 14.00 u. Lunch break and exchange market

14.00 u. - 14.30 u. Breeding the Sardinian brook newt, Euproctus platycephalus (by Frans-Peter Weterings & Frank Pasmans)

14.30 u. - 15.00 u. Break

15.00 u. - 15.30 u. Overview of Crocodile newts (Tylototriton/Echinotriton) and some words on the Crocodile newt project (by Wouter Beukema & Mark Bakkers)

16.00 u. Closing

S

sergé

Oh, forgot to mention: it is on Saturday, 17th of September!!!

P

paris

will anyone please take notes or record it for us unfortunates who cannot attend??

J

jesper

Gah, the Tylototriton/Echinotriton overview! It would be awfully nice if someone could write a summary in english.

S

sergé

Well, Wouter Beukema and Mark Bakkers regularly visit this site as well, so just ask them!

J

joeri

Since Tilburg isn't al that far from Antwerp I'll try to get there.

Oh and... hi everyone!

M

mark

For all the people interested in the overview, we will post an English translation on this forum.
No problem!

(Message edited by mark_bakkers on August 04, 2005)

E

ester

Thanks Mark, also from those Dutch visitors who can't make it to the meeting!

J

joeri

Last year I couldn't come over, I hope this year I can. Anyway, good luck with the organisation!

Joeri

T

terry

Tilburg? I believe i was there the last time some years back. De Oliemeulen? Was that where the reptilenbeurs was held?

Well Tilburg is pretty far from Amsterdam but i'll check if i could make it.
Hi fellow dutch and others!
Terry

E

ester

Fortunately trains go from A'dam to Tilburg. Provided of course that they first figure out why trains keep derailing in A'dam CS..

S

sergé

Pretty far? In this newt crazy world the distance between Tilburg and Amsterdam is very small...if you know that on that day people are coming from near Paris or the Belgian coast...and they start traveling around 5 o'clock in the morning!

T

terry

No way, no trains for me. The derailment was the last straw and my wooden shoe just broke ( sorry, dutch humour there) I'll drive. Hope there are no road accidents. And you are right, Tilburg is not far, just the idea of being on the road just does not do it for me. I'll make the effort.

(Message edited by terryschild on August 15, 2005)

E

ester

Wouter, Mark.. any chance of you guys posting a transcript of the presentation you held at the salamanderlanddag? (or did I miss it?).

If you need/want any help translating things I'm willing to help.

J

jeff

Did I miss the translation or are you guys still going to do it? I wish I could have been there but I feel there is usefull information for us all that could be shared.

wouter

Reaction score
Sorry guys, we will make a transcript soon, but we're really busy now. Mark and I have just started our studies (Chemistry and Animal management respectively) so the caudata have disappeared to the background for some time... Not too long though! By the end of october it should be ready for sure.

E

ester

Counting the days til then!

Good luck with your studies, I hope you're enjoying them.

wouter

Reaction score
Ok here it is, we'll try to upload some pictures of our presentation later too.

Overview of the Crocodile Salamanders (Tylototriton/Echinotriton) and some words on the Crocodile Salamander project (by Wouter Beukema & Mark Bakkers)

We discussed all know species of the Salamandrid genera Tylototriton and Echinotriton and compared their distribution, habitat and morphology. The following species were discussed:
Tylototriton
asperrimus
hainanensis
kweichowensis
shanjing
taliangensis
verrucosus
wenxianensis
Echinotriton
andersoni
chinhaiensis
Extra attention to morphology was given to the two somewhat controversial species in the genus Tylototriton, T. asperrimus and T. wenxianensis. According to our observations, the last named species is smaller (only up to 160 mm), has no dorso-lateral warts, and less-developed cranial ridges than T. asperrimus. The lifestyle of our T. wenxianensis was very secretive compared to our other Tylototriton species. This species also had the inclination to dig into the soil with its front feet. These morphological and ethological characteristics did us rather think of Echinotriton than Tylototriton species.
We did only have little information about T. hainanensis. This species is said to reproduce the same way as salamanders of the genus Echinotriton; depositing eggs on land.
After discussing the better-known species T. kweichowensis, T. shanjing and T. taliangensis, an overview of the T. verrucosus species complex was made. We showed some photos of different forms of this complex, such as the large light form, witch has a more terrestrial life to our observations, the small dark form, witch doesn’t get much bigger than 16 cm and has a very broad head, and the large dark form, witch originates from India, Nepal and Bhutan.
At last we discussed the genus Echinotriton. This was mainly about the differences between the two genera, and the reproduction method of Echinotriton.
All descriptions where supported by pictures and photos of the species.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1