Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Unusual gray treefrog[?]

Bill B

Reaction score
Hi all,

i was out at a local county park yesterday here in michigan, usa, and saw what seemed to be a gray treefrog with a dorsal surface of a very orange/red color. most i have asked have never seen one before... unfortunately, i was not able to get photo, since it disappeared into the plant material really fast, and i was not able stay long and look.''

many are saying i likely saw a spring peeper, and other saying wood frog, cricket frog, or some kind of toad. i really think the shape of the critter at this size suggested gray treefrog more than anything else.

anyone ever see anything like this?

oh, by the say, sorry for almost no characters that require the shift key - computer malfunction

Herpin Man

Reaction score
No, I have never seen a gray treefrog that was red, orange, or even brown- and I've seen thousands of gray treefrogs. They have always been green, gray, or sometimes turquoise blue.
I have, however, seen a fair number of spring peepers that have been sort of a coppery orange, and they can get quite large.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!