Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Setup just not working out.

lilacdragon7

Reaction score
Thank you so much for everything guys! I think I have what I need. I will post pics of my finished tank sometime tonight or tomorrow, then we'll see what we can fix up. This has been such and awesome learning experience and a welcome challenge, I wouldn't have been able to do it without this forum though.

Sara

lilacdragon7

Reaction score
MAN! Seriously?!?

I'm getting my newts today. I will be picking them up from work around 2 this afternoon. I look in my tank this morning and what the heck do I see? Fungus... Mold.... growing on that STUPID LOG! I will give you some pictures so you can tell me if it's dangerous or not. This drift wood is AMAZING and I really would rather not get rid of it, BUT will if it's going to give my newts some problems. This is the same **** that was growing on it before I boiled it.

The temp. Has not gotten over 65F in that tank since I've set it up. I've been testing every three days JUST to make sure, and have only found readings for Ammonia. I got some Ammo Lock for the benefit of my shrimp and have been doing a 50% water changes.

Can I get some help on how to get rid of this **** mold. Maybe a few pointers on the Ammonia if I haven't been taking care of it properly.

lilacdragon7

Reaction score
Here are the pictures.

Attachments

• P5280027.jpg
    P5280027.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 209
  • P5280028.jpg
    P5280028.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 191

flyangler18

Reaction score
I tend to get mold and fungus blooms in newly set up vivs- it's not that unusual. You've just introduced a LOT of organics to a system that hasn't reached a state of equilibrium. It'll die back, nothing to worry about in my experience.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you bought the wood, did it say what KIND of wood it was? Some kinds are suitable for reptiles, but not aquariums. But I agree that this will probably go away harmlessly.

lilacdragon7

Reaction score
I really couldn't tell you what company produced it, but I can say it specifically said safe for aquariums AND terrariums.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1