Is my set-up safe?

jbherpin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
JBear
As I've said on (too) many occassions, I keep my Two-Lined Sals with Eastern Newts. They have been together a while now with truly no signs of stress. Again, as mentioned, they all feed regularly and otherwise live normally. My concern is, will a decline in health occur over time and not be able to be remedied? What signs should I look for to tell me something is wrong? Keep in mind they share habitat in all natural settings...? Does that even matter?:confused:

If the set up is big enough it might not matter so much. In the wild two lines and notos would not be touching each other. Usually the safest species mixing is done with two species of the same genus. There are plenty of factors that would decide if your newts are 'safe' together. As a general rule though, species mixing with amphibians is frowned upon. If you're worried about negative effects of species mixing then you should probably just separate the two.

Just my opinion, maybe others think differently.

Thanks, I think I'll do that(seperate them). Just to eliminate the possibilities of bad reactions. ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back