Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

First time setup.. Some questions!

Bassi

Reaction score
So I bought 2 axolotl's a week ago from petworld who was keeping them at 27 degress celcius!
So over the last week I've been slowly decreasing the temperature so I wouldn't stress them too much. And it is at about 20 now.

One of my biggest concerns is that they are VERY inactive. They will stay still in one cornor of the tank for atleast one hour before moving a bit. Is this really normal? Also when I feed them some small shrimps they totally ignore them. I HAVE to hand-feed them, or atleast drop the food down on their heads. If I drop the food a little off and I lands 2 cm away from their head they will ignore it. Is this normal?

And my axolot's seem to have blue spots on their heads and gills. Is this normal?

I am also a little concerned about my grain. Does it impose any risk to my axolotl's?
Also if you have any enquries or suggestions about my setup please feel free to say so.

In all the pictures taken of the axolot's they aren't moving. They have been in that exact position for atleast 30 minutes.

Attachments

• IMAGE_030.jpg
    IMAGE_030.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 207
  • IMAGE_010.jpg
    IMAGE_010.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 206
  • IMAGE_017.jpg
    IMAGE_017.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 248
  • IMAGE_022.jpg
    IMAGE_022.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 228
  • IMAGE_018.jpg
    IMAGE_018.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 203
  • IMAGE_029.jpg
    IMAGE_029.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 196
  • IMAGE_027.jpg
    IMAGE_027.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 234
  • IMAGE_028.jpg
    IMAGE_028.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 200

FOG

Reaction score
First of all, you have some beautiful axies :). The gravel could be a problem as they could swallow it, and it could get stuck. It'd be a good idea to change it for sand, as they can easily pass it if they swallow it. They tend to be inactive during the day, if you were to watch them of a night they're probably a lot more active. As for feeding, they done have very good eyesight, it takes a while to find the food. Also, a couple more hides may help, I was advised to have 2 per axie, but I'm pretty new to this myself, I'm sure some other people may have other suggestions. Good luck :)

Last edited:

inkozana

Reaction score
Remember, axolotls are nocturnal - so they will be most active during the night! Generally their are quiet little creatures through the day, they will walk around and act in a very lazy manner most of the time.

However - if your axolotl is TOO active (swimming back and forth across the tank) there could be something wrong with the water, but that is not something you need to worry about at the moment.

coichards

Reaction score
Hi.
Most fish have to move through the water to remove oxygen. Axolotls just flick their gills through.
Also, if they are asleep they might need to be woken up before feeding

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Bassi and welcome to the Forum!

What the others have written is correct - the gravel substrate is a danger to your axolotls. You need more places for them to hide - particularly because you have a light on the lid. I'd also like to add that the light (which axolotls do not like at all) will creat heat, and the lid will trap it. If you need light for the plants, you can have the light on for periods during the day, but you will need to provide many more hiding places so that the axolotls can escape. You will also need to monitor temperature very closely - the temperature should be lower tht 21°C at all times.

Also, as everyone wrote, it is indeed very normal for axolotls to remain motionless for hours during the day. They will not necessariy ever become more active, but if they are new to their environment, they might become more active as they become accustomed to their new home. And if you should sneak into their room in the middle of the night, you might be surprised at how active they are!

If yours are new, that might also explain why they do not immediately feed - and even an axolotl that has been in its environment for a long time may not necessarily eat immediately. I have one that is like that - even if I drop food right onto his nose, he lets it fall to the ground, sniffs, and then bites in the wrong direction. :rolleyes:

You might try offering them earthworms if you can get them (try a bait shop) - these are a very good food for caudates.

The spots are normal markings and with time, they may even develop more than they have now.

Good luck,

-Eva

sichbo1

Reaction score
Great tank! Although it is right that the gravel should be changed for sand. I am sure your axies will be fine. What type of light/wattage are you using? Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1