Starting to setup my TANK!

THANKS!

I just got some plants too... I will post pics to see what yo guys think after today's work.

I asked this old lady - owner of an independent acquarium in the area - about the black light and she said that is should not be a problem... but she was grumpy, so I dont know.

Cheers

Hi Ulysses (love that name),

I don't know about how much moonlightswill nourish plants. If you have plastic plants, of course, it doesn't really matter, right?

I googled a bit and found out that they are inded called moonlights. Maybe if you search this forum or the WWW, you can find out more information?

Sorry I can't be of more help with that.

-Eva

P.S. Look what I just read in another thread:

from
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?p=164383#post164383

-Eva

How did you make it stop clouding? I rinsed a lot... I mean a lot before putting it in... then, I put water... it would settle, so I have changed the water in the tank like five times and it still does it:mad:

HELP!

Yeah I got white play sand and brown play sand from homedepot - about $2 - $4 for each 50# bag.

Sharon

How did you make it stop clouding? I rinsed a lot... I mean a lot before putting it in... then, I put water... it would settle, so I have changed the water in the tank like five times and it still does it:mad:

HELP!

Depending on the sand, it may be cloudy for a couple days even after a lot of rinsing.

If you let it sit for a couple of days it should clear up and if you keep the filter running this should help as well.

Thank you - I will keep the filter running - and doing a 10% water change each day... I placed my plants in bc I was afraid they would die - I hope they will be ok

Depending on the sand, it may be cloudy for a couple days even after a lot of rinsing.

If you let it sit for a couple of days it should clear up and if you keep the filter running this should help as well.

HELP!

Well because I have a pond on my property I put the sand in a bucket, put the bucket on a ledge and put a hose full blast into the bucket. Every so often I'd go and give it a good stir, I let the hose run for about 24 hours.

This is feasible for most people. My tanks cleared in a couple of hours. Even after an enthusiastic cleaning - it all settles down pretty quickly.

I love watching my plants fill in. I think you'll enjoy it.

Sharon

Hey Ulysses,

It won't help this time but for future reference - if you put the sand into the aquarium first and then put a bowl onto the sand, you can pour the water into the bowl and that will keep clouding to a minimum.

The sand cloud won't hurt your axolotls, though - they can't breathe it in through their gills or anything. It just doesn't look so nice. It will go away soon, if it hasn't already.

-Eva

Thank you both - I have now taken all water out:eek:... I've been working hard. THen took the sand, placed it in containers and placed cleaning - so fay its been like ten hours. I will keep doing so. Then I will use the plate when it comes down to fillign up the tank again.

It was clear the first time... but I decided to "test the water" :blush: - gave it a stir and popping air bubbles... and it got really cloudy!

By the way - why are the sand air bubbles so bad?

thank you for the advice - I really appreciate it!

Aaah, isn't this fun? Whoever said an aquarium is relaxing never actually set one up himself!

Sand can trap air pockets and gunk settles into these pockets and rots, which can foul the aquarium water. You can avoid this very simply by havíng a layer of sand that is only about 1 inch (2-3 cm) thick. If the layer of sand is thicker, just occasionally stir it (gently!), like when doing normal maintenance. It may cloud up a little but settles back very quickly - assuming you do it gently. ;)

-Eva

I have another suggestion for the "moonlight", you can use LEDs you can easily built a lamp using as many as you want. I did that for my tank an looks great (more that it looks on the picture).

About having live plants, you have to choose plants that does not require too much light because axolotls does not like it very much.

check this ...

DSCN6198.jpg

That looks amazing! Thanks for the advice...

But - can you guys help with names of plants... besides java moss. For example - argentinian swords? is this one ok?

I have ...

Naja grass
Marimo moss balls
Flame moss
Peacock moss
E. tennelus Micro
and some vesuvius (sp?)

I planted the naja grass in the sand in small "stands" at the back of the tank. The longest piece I had when I started when about 3" long. Now some are a foot long in just a couple of months.

The flame moss I attached to the log is taking off nicely! I have plenty of marimo moss balls - I just like them!

The peacock moss is still in a baggy until I find the JUST RIGHT LOG, lol.

The vesuvius is doing nicely but I think its kind of delicate for the axies to be trouncing on.

The E. tennelus is just hardy as heck. I started out with 3 a couple of months ago and now I have like 5 or 6.

I can't wait until the log is mostly covered with moss.

Sharon

THANK YOU! That was exactly what I was looking for! :D

I have ...

Naja grass
Marimo moss balls
Flame moss
Peacock moss
E. tennelus Micro
and some vesuvius (sp?)

I planted the naja grass in the sand in small "stands" at the back of the tank. The longest piece I had when I started when about 3" long. Now some are a foot long in just a couple of months.

The flame moss I attached to the log is taking off nicely! I have plenty of marimo moss balls - I just like them!

The peacock moss is still in a baggy until I find the JUST RIGHT LOG, lol.

The vesuvius is doing nicely but I think its kind of delicate for the axies to be trouncing on.

The E. tennelus is just hardy as heck. I started out with 3 a couple of months ago and now I have like 5 or 6.

I can't wait until the log is mostly covered with moss.

Sharon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back