Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Terry 9 - setup for P. ruber

Terry 9

Reaction score
Hi there to all interested.

I have kept European newts and salamanders over the last 30 years but have always wanted to keep Pseudotriton ruber or montanus. I am very aware of the temperature requirements and water quality needs, but would welcome any help in the best way to achieve this. I have aquired a cooling unit which consists of a probe which is inserted into the water in a storage containerand is then set to the required temperature. My aim is to pump water from this unit into some type of miniture stream area in the aqua/vivaria and then recycle it back to a filter. This could be a R/O system or just a small fish type canister or pond filter. I imagine plants and the correct lighting for these plants to survive under artificial lighting are important to water quality also. I think one of the problems may be the small amount of water that will need to be recycled in a 90x 60cm (approx) glass unit, as at least 1/2 to 2/3 will just be a damp, planted area surrounding the spring/stream section.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Terry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!