Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

One or Two Axies?

TopsyTurvey

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I currently have a single 20cm leucistic gal in a 60cm x 25 cm tank, which I know is on the smaller side especially regarding the width. We were orginally planning to get a juvie so we never really thought the tank size would be a problem but now that we've ended up with an adult so I'm looking at upgrading to a 91 x 40-45cm tank asap.

But I've got a question regarding tankmates, I always thought I'd just have one axie but with upgrading I'm not sure whether two would be better? I plan for this tank to be rather well stocked with Java Fern, Moss, Anubias, Hornwort and Bolbitis especially since my girl really likes to use the java ferns we have as a hammock??? (it's the absolute sweetest thing and her new favorite spot ever since we got them <333)

Anyway, I was going to buy large rocks &/or driftwood to mount them on but if I got a second kid I could always just attach the majority of them to their hides so it's not going to make too much of a difference space wise but what I'm wondering is whether or not my girl would most benefit from a tankmate or being alone in all the extra space? I'm not particularly desperate for another gal as I'm happy to wait until I move out to upgrade again and buy another axie if I want but if she'd benefit from it then I'm all in ;)

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
Some axolotls seem to enjoy company and others like to be alone. I believe there is some level of socialization that can occur, as one of mine who was in isolation for the first 2 months i had them (fungus that wouldn't clear up, ok now) acts like they are afraid of other axolotls. Out of the 3 that have not had to be isolated for any extended period two LOVE being with others and often lie on top of eachother and the third one begrudgingly accepts the attention.
So I guess I would say upgrade to a tank that gives you that option in the future and if you do end up with a curmudgeon who hates company you could always install a divider or add more hides to keep both happy.

TopsyTurvey

Reaction score
Hmmm that's super interesting and brings up some good points, thank you!

I've messaged her old owner because as far as I'm aware she was housed with one other gal so I want to see their opinion and know how interested she was in another axie.

I was wondering though, I have an identical tank to my current one that I could temporarily house an axie in which opens up the opportunity to introduce them both to the new tank at the same time. Does anyone know whether it'd make any difference if I added them both at the same time or separately?

landonewts

Reaction score
Interested to see if you did try introducing a new axolotl, and how it went. I’m currently about to try this myself.

I raised my male axie from a baby, he’s about 8 months old now and definitely male. I just brought another male home from the pet store yesterday. He’s currently recovering in a separate tank, and I plan to keep him there until he’s eating successfully. I have a 40 gallon tank that I will set up for both of them to live in together.

The woman at the pet store where I got my new axie is an experienced axolotl owner who also has multiple axolotls, and said it’s probably best to put them both into their new tank at the same time. We plan to put the new axie’s tank next to my older axolotl’s tank so they can see each other for a week or two before introducing them into the same tank. (My research has yielded mixed information on how far an axolotl can actually see, but I don’t see any reason NOT to do this extra step.)

Anyway, curious to hear how your introductions went. I’ll post later about how my two got along.

landonewts

Reaction score
Update: I moved both of my male axolotls into a larger shared habitat a few days ago, and they instantly went into the same hide. They have been doing really well together, and both seem more relaxed, and happy to have company. It went so well I even de-commissioned my “emergency” 10 gallon tank.

I do know that every individual is different, but I don’t completely agree with the broad brush notion that all axolotls are solitary. I know they can be, and that some are more comfortable with other axolotls than others, but I also know that the axolotls in the pet trade have been raised in artificial conditions, and have for many generations. I wonder if some of their habits are evolving as a result.

I was really hesitant to upset the balance with my first axolotl by introducing a second, but am so glad that I did. Trixie and Rajah seem really happy.

Attachments

• 1AF349ED-980E-44C9-9B4A-6510F75787E2.jpeg
    1AF349ED-980E-44C9-9B4A-6510F75787E2.jpeg
    532.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 717429AB-BFC8-4051-A025-DF7009FE0E51.jpg
    717429AB-BFC8-4051-A025-DF7009FE0E51.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 2BB02156-0941-4746-99FB-BD9F9F77FA7B.jpg
    2BB02156-0941-4746-99FB-BD9F9F77FA7B.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 151

Blue26

Reaction score
I had one axolotl for a year, I was waiting until I could know for sure that he was male before introducing a tank mate and risking them breeding. I just added a new tank mate and they seem to love being around each other already.

Attachments

• xochi and loc day one.png
    xochi and loc day one.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 171
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!