Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Red Efts (Red spotted Newt)

David339

Reaction score
I have 2 red efts, one is about two inches and the other is about an inch. The smaller one could fit on a penny curled up. I have turtles, a snake and tree frogs. These are my first salamander/newts. I have them over a week and they are co existing just fine. I was worried the bigger guy would eat the small one. I have them in a 10 gal aquarium with about 2 inches of soil and 1 inch coconut reptile bedding on top of that. I have at least 7 little ferns in there, a big piece of moss covered bark propped up so they can get under it, and a ton of leaf litter in there. I was told to keep the tank stocked with bugs and let them hunt on their own. I've been putting small isopods(pill bugs), little one inch millipedes, small worms, sugar ants, termites, tiny 1/16 to pinhead crickets, and flightless fruit flies in tank for food. They are active I just don't always get to observe it. I've seen them perched on top ferns and find them in different spots everyday. I don't handle them. Temp stays about 65 and I was told 60% humidity is what I want. I just want to make sure I'm taking care of them properly. A lot of care sheets focus on adult care and not specifically the red eft stage. How long does this stage usually last in captivity?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
About a year, I think. You can add more water to the tank after a year and sort of strongly suggest he go in, and he should transition fine. I've been a little more blunt with mine in the past, when I decided they were big enough I dropped them into the water tank and they did fine. Good luck!

David339

Reaction score
So I guess my setup is ok? and food items? I've seen those small millipedes breeding in there. I can only guess that's why they are piggy back riding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!